These Savory Vegetable Crepes will add variety to your breakfast and are made with whole wheat flour and packed with zucchini, salsa and cheese.
SAVORY CREPES?! Yes yes yes, trust me on this one. I originally created this recipe back in 2014 after eating at a crepe restaurant. Before then, I’d only ever thought of crepes as something sweet, not savory. So, one morning I decided I wanted something other than eggs for breakfast, so I decided to give these a try. If you’re a fan of savory breakfasts, eggs are an obvious choice. But, if you’re looking for something different, savory crepes are the way to go. This recipe is veggie-filled but also loaded with cheese, so it’s the best of both worlds, really.
The key to making crepes is slowly pouring the batter into your skillet and then swirling the skillet around so that the crepe batter takes up the entire skillet. So, you’re going to want to use a smaller skillet vs. a large skillet; otherwise, the batter will become too thin and/or will be too difficult to flip.
VEGETABLE CREPE INGREDIENTS
- whole wheat flour
- milk of choice
- yellow squash
These crepes are great because they are savory like eggs but they’re packed with vegetables, and they’re customizable, meaning you can add more vegetables or even meat if that’s your thing.
HOW TO MAKE SAVORY CREPES
Crepes: The actual crepes themselves are made using whole wheat flour. If you don’t have any on hand, all purpose flour works too. No, I haven’t tested any gluten free flours with this recipe, but if you do be sure to leave a comment and let me know how they turned out! So, you’ll whisk the flour and eggs together, then add in the milk and water. Again, I used almond milk because that tends to be my go-to milk, but any milk will work. Last, you’ll add in just a little bit of melted butter (mmmmmm!).
Vegetables: I used zucchini and yellow squash, but honestly the possibilities are endless! Other delicious vegetables that would work in these crepes include any sort of greens (spinach, kale, etc.), peppers, onion, avocado, and maybe even all of the above! Go wild, go crazy.
Add-ins: The “add-ins” in this recipe is just cheese, but breakfast meat works too if you eat meat. I’d recommend sausage, chicken sausage, ham, or bacon.
OTHER SAVORY BREAKFAST RECIPES
Savory Vegetable Crepes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- Pinch of salt
- 2 small zucchini or 1 large zucchini chopped
- 1 yellow squash squash chopped
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup salsa or more
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour and the eggs. Slowly add in the milk water. Lastly, add in the salt and the melted butter; stir until everything is mixed.
- Heat a small-medium sized skilled and pour mixture into the skillet until it covers the bottom, as if you were making pancakes.
- Wait approximately 1 minute and then, using a spatula, flip over the crepe until both sides are cooked. Continue this process until the crepe mixture is used up.
- After the crepes are made, cut up the zucchini and squash into small bite-size pieces. Place into a skillet with the olive oil and cook until slightly browned.
- Add zucchini and squash to each crepe.
- Add salsa and cheese as well.
- Fold crepe so that everything stays together.