These Chipotle Chicken Tacos are made by cooking chicken over the stovetop and shredding it, then seasoning it with chipotle sauce in adobo, making them spicy and delicious!
TACO… Wednesday? Just roll with it. It’s been a minute since I’ve shared a taco recipe—what’s up with that? These chipotle chicken tacos are an easy weeknight meal that can be enjoyed ANY day of the week.
Did you eat a lot of tacos growing up? I can assure you my family did not. In fact, I have a distinct memory of going to a taco restaurant with a friend and her family when I was in middle school and ordering CHICKEN TENDERS because I had never tried tacos before. You could say I was a tad sheltered when it came to food. Now, tacos are my absolute favorite food. Any time Miguel and I are planning on going out to eat, tacos are at the top of my mind.
WHY THESE CHIPOTLE CHICKEN TACOS ARE SO GOOD
- The chicken is boiled then shredded, which is honestly one of the easiest ways to make chicken
- The chipotle sauce is made in a blender for easy prep and clean up
- The toppings are easy to customize to your liking
HOW TO BOIL CHICKEN BREAST
I’ve found that one of the quickest ways to cook chicken is to boil it. Typically if I’m making shredded chicken, I cook the chicken in my slow cooker. However, that takes more time and sometimes I want tacos NOW, and that’s when boiling chicken comes in handy.
Step 1: place chicken in the bottom of a large stock pot and fill it with water so that the water is covering the chicken by two inches or so. Then, bring water a boil and boil the chicken for 15-20 minutes. The amount of time it takes for the chicken to cook will depend on the size of the chicken breasts, but I’ve found that 20 minutes it usually a good rule-of-thumb.
Step 2: use a fork to remove one of the chicken breasts and place it on a cutting board. Grab a second fork and begin shredded the chicken. If you happen to see any pink, place chicken back into the pot and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Otherwise, you can shred the chicken up into bite-size pieces. handy.
MAKING THE CHIPOTLE SAUCE
These chipotle chicken tacos are SPICY! I used this chipotle recipe minus the yogurt and drizzled it over the chicken, and used kitchen tongs to mix everything together. To make the sauce, you’re going to want to combine all of the sauce ingredients in your blender or food processor. If you want it to be LESS spicy, simply omit the actual chipotle pepper and just use the sauce.
I topped these tacos with some corn, lettuce, roasted tomatoes, avocado, and cheese and they were phenomenal. Say hello to your new go-to shredded chicken taco recipe.
FOOD TO SERVE WITH THESE CHIPOTLE CHICKEN TACOS:
Shredded Chipotle Chicken Tacos
for the tacos:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 whole canned tomatoes fire roasted*
- Shredded lettuce
- Cojita cheese
- Corn tortillas
for the sauce:
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 3 tbsp of the adobo sauce from the can
- Juice of 2 whole limes
- Coat chicken with salt and pepper then place them in the bottom of a large saucepan. Cover the chicken with water and bring to a boil. As soon as the water starts boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover chicken with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the chipotle sauce by adding the chipotle pepper, sauce and lime juice to a blender or food processor and pulsing until smooth.
- Next, heat the tortillas over skillet, cook the corn and dice the tomatoes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, use two forks to shred the chicken, then place it in a large bowl and pour the chipotle sauce over top, using kitchen tongs to stir everything together.
- Last, assemble the tacos by adding the chicken to the tortillas, then the tomatoes, corn, lettuce, cheese, and avocado.