This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich is spicy, cheesy, crunchy, and so dang delicious. It’s the best way to bring some excitement to your morning!
This quick and easy English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich has been my go-to weekend breakfast for some time now. The zhoug sauce pairs well with almost anything, including the layers of bacon, egg, tomato, and cheese on this sandwich. One bite and you’ll be hooked!
This is the very best breakfast sandwich in my eyes because it’s all of the things: exciting, easy to make, cheesy, vibrant, and flexible. The 5 delicious toppings are sandwiched together on an English muffin and ready to be enjoyed on special occasions, regular mornings, or Sunday brunch. The recipe makes 2 sandwiches, but I won’t blame you if you keep both for yourself.
- A layer of homemade zhoug sauce is the best way to take your breakfast sandwiches up a notch.
- The herby and spicy sauce brings life to the layers of egg, bacon, and cheese.
- Make the sandwiches for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or a quick snack!
- Zhoug sauce - This spicy cilantro sauce is a Middle Eastern condiment that pairs well with almost anything. It’s easy to make in a food processor using fresh cilantro, jalapenos, garlic, spices, and oil. Keep an extra batch in the fridge to use on grilled meats, in hummus, on salads, or as a dipping sauce later on!
- English muffins - Toast the English muffins before assembling the sandwiches so they don’t get soggy.
- Bacon - Fried, crispy bacon is my favorite but you can make it any way you like. Tempeh bacon would be the perfect vegetarian alternative.
- Cheddar cheese - Or use another kind of cheese.
- Eggs - Fried eggs give the sandwich an extra tasty crunchy, but they can always be scrambled instead.
- Tomato - Love adding tomato to make this sandwich a bit lighter, but feel free to use spinach or kale if you prefer.
Step 1: Make the zhoug sauce. If you haven’t already, whip up a quick batch of homemade zhoug sauce in your food processor.
Step 2: Cook the bacon. Pan-fry the bacon in a skillet until it’s done to your liking. Transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate so the excess grease can drain while you prepare the rest of the sandwich.
Step 3: Fry the eggs. Crack the eggs into the same pan and fry to your liking.
Step 4: Put it all together. To assemble the sandwiches, spread the zhoug sauce on one half of each English muffin, then add tomato, cheese, bacon, and egg to each one. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- This recipe makes enough for 2 sandwiches but can easily be doubled or tripled to serve a crowd.
- While this sandwich is very flexible, I don’t recommend substituting the zhoug sauce for anything else. It’s what gives each bite so many exciting flavors!
- Making these sandwiches for your weekend breakfast? Be sure to serve them with air fryer sweet potatoes, chocolate chip scones, and strawberry blueberry smoothies. A mimosa couldn’t hurt either!
What else is good on breakfast sandwiches?
There are plenty of ways you can customize this tasty sandwich.
Use bagels, croissants, regular toast, or gluten free bread instead of English muffins, add lettuce or spinach for some greens, add pickled red onions, top it with bacon guacamole, use tempeh or turkey bacon instead of regular bacon, layer on different kinds of cheeses, scramble the eggs, etc. The options are endless!
How can I make it vegetarian?
To make vegetarian breakfast sandwiches, simply swap the bacon for tempeh bacon or leave it off. Replacing the eggs for tofu scramble and omitting the cheese would also make the sandwich vegan-friendly.
Can you freeze breakfast sandwiches?
If you want a freezer-friendly sandwich for meal prep, use scrambled eggs instead of fried and omit the zhoug sauce until it’s time to serve the sandwich.
More easy breakfast recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich
- If you haven't already, make the zhoug sauce and set aside.
- Toast the English muffins in the toaster (this is optional).
- Next, cook the bacon in a skillet until it's done to your liking. Use a fork to transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Crack the eggs and cook them in the same skillet until they're done to your liking.
- Assemble the sandwiches: place the sliced tomato on the bottom of the english muffin, then add the cheese, bacon and egg on top. Last, spread 2 tablespoons of the zhoug sauce on each of English muffin tops. Enjoy!