This one-pan Breakfast Quesadilla is easy, simple, and completely vegetarian. Enjoy it for breakfast on the go or when you’re craving breakfast for dinner!
Bring a little life to your breakfast routine with this easy, vegetarian Breakfast Quesadilla recipe. Made with scrambled eggs, spinach, cheese, and black beans, it’s a simple and protein-packed meal that’s sure to start your day on the right track. It’s also a must-have when serving breakfast for dinner!
What I love about this scrambled egg quesadilla is that it’s completely flexible and can be made ahead of time. Stuff it with anything you like, from roasted red potatoes to crispy chorizo, to really bring the flavor. They freeze so well, meaning you can whip up a few quesadillas for Sunday meal prep, reheat for an easy breakfast on the go, and head out the door!
- An easy and quick meal you can enjoy for breakfast on the go or breakfast for dinner.
- Fill it with anything you like, such as bacon, kale, chicken, roasted veggies, or chorizo.
- Make it ahead of time and reheat in a pinch!
- Tortillas - Large flour tortillas are best because they’re so pliable.
- Eggs - Scrambled eggs are so filling when they’re stuffed into tortillas!
- Spinach - Fresh spinach is cooked along with the scrambled eggs. Feel free to use any leafy greens you have at home.
- Cheese - I used shredded cheddar cheese, but mozzarella, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack work well as substitutes.
- Beans - Black beans are my favorite but you can swap them for pinto beans, kidney beans, or chickpeas instead.
Step 1: Scramble the eggs. Whisk the eggs in a bowl and pour them into a prepared skillet over medium heat. Add the spinach, and stir until the eggs are cooked through. Transfer them to a plate.
Step 2: Assemble the quesadilla. Wipe out the skillet and place your tortilla inside. Add the beans and cheese to one side, then place the eggs and spinach on top. Flip the other half of the tortilla on top of the filling and let it cook until both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Step 3: Slice and serve. Once it’s out of the pan, slice the quesadilla into 3 pieces. Serve with salsa and enjoy!
Expert tips and FAQs
- Want to add more to your quesadilla? Mix in bacon, sausage, avocado, bell peppers, different cheeses, kale, chorizo, sauteed veggies, and more.
- Use gluten free tortillas if you want to make a gluten free breakfast quesadilla.
Can egg quesadillas be made ahead of time?
They can! Double or triple this recipe when making it for meal prep and assemble the quesadillas to freeze for later (see storing instructions below).
What can I serve with breakfast quesadillas?
Fresh dipping sauces are a must when enjoying a breakfast quesadilla, like red salsa, salsa verde, pico de gallo, guacamole, or guacamole salsa. For a more filling breakfast, serve the quesadilla next to roasted potatoes, waffles, a breakfast hash, kale smoothies, and other morning favorites.
Can it be made vegan?
To make a vegan breakfast quesadilla, swap the eggs for tofu scramble and fill it with as many veggies, beans, and shredded vegan cheese that you like! Serve it with guacamole salsa, cashew cheese sauce, or vegan spicy mayo for dipping.
- Refrigerator - The quesadilla is best eaten right away but if you made it ahead, wrap it in foil and keep it in the fridge for up to 1 day. It’s best reheated in a skillet so the tortilla can crisp up again.
- Freezer - Flash freeze the assembled quesadillas on a baking sheet. Once they’re frozen solid, transfer them to a sealed bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Let them thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
The frozen breakfast quesadillas can be reheated in a 350ºF oven or air fryer until they’re warmed through and the cheese is melty again.
More savory vegetarian breakfast recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
- 1 8" flour tortilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup spinach
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup black beans drained and rinsed; or pinto
- fresh salsa for serving
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat. Next, whisk the eggs together in a bowl, then pour them into the skillet and immediately add the spinach and garlic powder. Stir frequently until the eggs and spinach are cooked, then remove them from the skillet; set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel. Then, place the skillet back over the heat and add the tortilla. Place the cheese and beans on one side of it, then carefully add the eggs/spinach on top and fold the other side of the tortilla over, using a spatula to press it down.
- Cook for 1 minute, then carefully flip the tortilla over and cook for 1 more minute or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the quesadilla from the skillet, then use a sharp knife of pizza cutter to slice the quesadilla into 3 pieces. Serve with salsa and enjoy!