Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Peanut Crockpot Stir Fry is an easy and tasty weeknight meal! It’s made in the crockpot so it’s a hands-off recipe that only requires 5 minutes of prep work and is loaded with protein, whole grains and vegetables.
Originally published: October 2014 // Updated: November 2019
This peanut crockpot stir fry is another oldie but goodie recipe! I know the Instant Pot is wildly popular, but I still really, really like my crockpot. Does that make me old? I find it convenient being able to spend minimal prep time on a recipe, then throwing all of the ingredients into the slow cooker and letting it do all the work for you while you go run errands/do house chores/etc.
WHY THIS CROCKPOT STIR FRY IS THE BEST
- The prep time is around 5 minutes, which you can’t say about too many recipes
- The flavors are INCREDIBLE (think: honey, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil combined)
- You can use shrimp OR chicken as your protein in this recipe, and both are delicious
HOW TO MAKE CROCKPOT STIR FRY
Crockpot recipes are known for being insanely easy, and this is no exception.
Start by pan-frying the dry roasted peanuts, which enhances their flavor. Simply add them to a skillet and heat them on medium heat and fry for 2-3 minutes until they’re golden brown on the edges.
Next, remove the peanuts then sauté the onion in that same skillet.
After that, add all of the ingredients–peanuts, onion, carrot, pepper, rice, water, sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, and red pepper flakes–to the Crockpot and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours. After the time is up, add the shrimp and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT TYPE OF PROTEIN?
Yes! The first time I made this recipe back in 2014, I used chicken instead of shrimp, so I know for a fact that chicken works well in this recipe if you want to go that route. If you do use chicken, simply dice the raw chicken before putting it into your Crockpot and then it will cook while it’s in the Crockpot.
OTHER EASY CROCKPOT RECIPES
Peanut Crockpot Stir Fry
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1/3 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped with seeds removed
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or more to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. frozen cooked shrimp
- Add peanuts to a skillet and pan-fry over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until golden in color; set aside.
- In that same skillet, add 1 tbsp oil and onions and sauté until soft. Add onions and peanuts to the slow cooker. Then, add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT the shrimp to the slow cooker and heat on high for 2 1/2 hours.
- After 2 1/2 hours, add the shrimp and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes. If the water has completely absorbed, add an additional 1/2 cup water.
- Top stir fry with additional salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and green onion. Enjoy!