This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs recipe will show you how to cook chicken thighs in your crock pot! The result is juicy, tender and flavorful chicken that falls right off the bone.
I figured it was about time I create a recipe for slow cooker chicken thighs!
Since the weather's been getting cooler, we've been loving my slow cooker chicken stew. But, sometimes I just want to batch cook chicken for lunches, and using the slow cooker is perfect for that!
- The chicken is pan-seared in a skillet first, which allows the skin to become crispy
- Coated in a simple yet flavorful dry rub
- Cooked slow and low, which allows the chicken to become so tender that is falls right off the bone
Bone-in chicken thighs - I recommend using bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs; see "Tips and Tricks" section below if you prefer to use boneless
Spices - A mixture of garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and Italian seasoning works well; I used sweet paprika, but smoked paprika will work in a pinch.
Chicken broth - The chicken will essentially cook in the broth, so don't skip it!
Butter - Butter makes everything better, am I right? You could use ghee instead, but I would not substitute oil.
Garlic - Fresh garlic really elevates the flavors of this recipe. Plus, it pairs well with the butter.
Step 1: Season the chicken. In a small bowl, stir the garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and Italian seasoning together. Pat the chicken dry, then use your hands to rub the spice mixture all over the chicken thighs.
Step 2: Pan-sear the chicken. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, place the chicken skin side down into the skillet and pan-fry it for 4-5 minutes until the skin is crispy. Now, transfer it to your slow cooker in a single layer, skin side up.
Step 3: Add everything to your slow cooker. Pour the chicken broth, butter and garlic to your slow cooker, then place a lid on top and cook the chicken in LOW for 5 hours. Add salt to taste and garnish with fresh parsley.
Tips and tricks
- To use boneless skinless chicken thighs: Coat the chicken in the dry rub, then pan-sear it smooth side down in a skillet for about 2 minutes. Transfer it to your crock pot, then add the remaining ingredients. Cook on LOW for approximately 3-4 hours.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F. Chicken thighs vary in size, and therefore the cook time may be slightly different.
- For optimal flavor, spoon the juices from the slow cooker over the chicken before serving.
Is there a way to serve this with gravy?
Yup! Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it with tongs, then pour the juices from the crock pot into a saucepan. Use a hand whisk to whisk in 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Heat the mixture over medium heat, whisking for a few minutes until it's thickened into a gravy. If it doesn't seem to be thickening, increase the heat.
What should I serve with crockpot chicken thighs?
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat: Reheat chicken in the microwave until it's warm. Alternatively, you can add it to a baking dish with a little water in the bottom, then heat it at 350° until it's warmed through.
More slow cooker recipes
More easy chicken recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Stir the garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and Italian seasoning together in a small bowl. Use your hands to rub the spice mixture all over the chicken, making sure they're coated.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then place the chicken skin side down into the skillet and cook it for 4-5 minutes until the skin is crispy; transfer to your slow cooker skin side up.
- Pour the broth into your slow cooker, then add the diced butter and garlic. Cook the chicken in LOW for 4.5-5 hours, checking the internal temperature is at 165°F before removing it. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!