This Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl is a savory breakfast lover's dream come true! The base is made with mashed sweet potatoes, then topped with bacon, spinach and a fried egg. It's incredibly filling and easy to prep ahead of time!
You didn't think I was going to share my savory mashed sweet potatoes with the intention of only eating them as a side dish at Thanksgiving, did you?! No way. Mashed sweet potatoes deserve to be eaten for breakfast too.
This sweet potato breakfast bowl basically combines all my favorite foods into one healthy, delicious savory breakfast.
- The mashed sweet potatoes can easily be prepped ahead of time.
- Can be enjoyed for lunch or dinner (the perfect breakfast for dinner kind of meal!)
- Easy to customize to your liking -- choose whatever toppings you want!
Sweet potatoes - peeled
Ghee - can sub butter; to keep dairy free, use olive oil
Milk - any kind (I used almond milk)
Eggs - no substitution
Toppings - Optional, but ideas include bacon, chicken sausage, tempeh bacon, spinach, kale, tomatoes.
First, make the mashed sweet potatoes. This step can be done ahead of time to make breakfast prep even quicker.
Next, cook the toppings. For this recipe, I cooked the bacon first, then used a slotted spoon to remove it and cooked the egg and spinach in the bacon grease.
This is a really easy recipe to customize to your liking, and basically a dream breakfast if you're a savory breakfast person.
Tips and FAQs
- Want the perfect fried egg? Cook the spinach, then create a hole in the center of your skillet, crack the egg, then place a lid over the skillet for 1-2 minutes, which will result in a cooked fried egg with a runny yolk.
- Whole30 version: be sure to use sugar-free bacon, and olive oil in the mashed sweet potatoes instead of ghee/butter
- For a vegan version, use vegan butter in the mashed potatoes, then top with tempeh bacon, avocado and grape tomatoes (and omit the egg of course)
How far in advance can I make the mashed sweet potatoes?
I'd say 1-2 days. I like to whip up a batch of the mashed sweet potatoes, then store them in a container in the refrigerator and heat them up in the microwave when I'm ready to eat this breakfast recipe.
More paleo breakfast recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes see instructions
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 egg
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- ½ avocado diced
- ½ cup grape tomatoes sliced
- First, prep the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Cook the bacon, then fry the egg and cook the spinach. Top sweet potatoes with optional toppings (avocado, tomatoes, etc.) and enjoy!
Kayla Mountain says
Really good! I put curry powder in the mashed potatoes and I also added some salt to the Kale and topped with feta. Really great!
Ohhhh love the addition of curry powder -- glad you enjoyed the bowl!
what a wonderful breakfast bowl! I eat most of these ingredients regularly and don't know why I wouldn't make a sweet potato mash as the base, especially since they are one of my favorite ingredients, so thank you for pointing out the such a perfect bowl that was something I never put together on my own, much appreciated!