This Vegan Tomato Soup is made with simple ingredients and is even more filling thanks to the addition of gluten free pasta. It’s made in one pot, which means clean up simple, and it’s the ultimate cozy soup recipe.
My vegan tomato soup recipe is here and I’m SO EXCITED ABOUT IT! Does tomato soup remind you of your childhood? For me, it reminds me of college because that’s when I started truly enjoying and appreciating all that is tomato soup.
WHY THIS VEGAN TOMATO SOUP IS THE BEST
- It’s creamy and flavorful and pairs so perfectly will a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Pasta is part of the ingredient list. Yes, pasta! But not just any pasta: Chickapea pasta.
- It’s naturally vegan and gluten free!
The addition of pasta helps to make tomato soup even more filling and nutritious. Chickapea pasta is made from just chickpeas and lentils and doesn’t taste like gluten free pasta (it’s so good!). Let’s walk through this recipe because it’s really easy—I mean, hellooooo one pot tomato soup!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN TOMATO SOUP
Make the soup: You’re going to combine all of the ingredient except for the pasta into a large pot and bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
Blend: Once the tomatoes are soft, you’ll do one of two things: 1) use an immersion blender to blend up the soup in the pot, or 2) pour soup into a blender and blend until it’s smooth. If you go with option 2, be sure to blend on low as the soup will be very hot.
Now comes the good part. Once the soup is blended, you’ll add the pasta in with the soup and boil the entire mixture for no more than 10 minutes, allowing the pasta to cook.
….and that’s about it!
One thing I need to mention is that this vegan tomato soup recipe had harissa in it, which gives it a punch of flavor and spice. I was able to find harissa paste at the store—and I will say that a little bit goes a long way—but if you can’t find any, you can leave it out and this recipe will still be delicious. Alternatively, you can buy some online if that’s easier.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TOMATO SOUP
- Arugula Sun-Dried Tomato Salad
- Homemade Whole Wheat Croutons
- Baked Zucchini Fritters
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese Sandwich
OTHER SOUP RECIPES
Vegan Tomato Soup
- 5 vine ripe tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion sliced
- 1 garlic clove smashed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1-2 tbsp harissa paste*
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups Chickapea pasta shells
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, and oil to a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Next, add tomato paste, harissa, oregano, broth, water, salt, and pepper to the saucepan and bring mixture to a boil. Then, cover and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blend everything in the saucepan until smooth. Alternatively, you can pour everything into a blender and blend until smooth. If you use a blender, pour soup back into the saucepan afterward.
- Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until pasta is soft.
- Pour soup into bowls, add a drizzle of milk (optional) and enjoy!