This avocado grilled cheese sandwich is just like your favorite childhood food, but with the addition of mashed avocado. It's even better when dipped in delicious homemade buffalo sauce, which really takes this sandwich to the next level!
There's nothing quite like a well-made grilled cheese sandwich, or better yet, an avocado grilled cheese sandwich!
Grilled cheese will always remind me of being a kid. Most days for lunch, I'd eat a turkey and cheese sandwich, but when I wanted a warm sandwich for lunch, I'd whip up a grilled cheese. I think I liked it so much because it was something I could prepare myself vs. needing help from my mom. Honestly, this avocado grilled cheese is the same sandwich I've been making for years, but with the addition of avocado because avocado makes everything better!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS AVOCADO GRILLED CHEESE
- It's an easy, 3-ingredient recipe
- The avocado elevates this sandwich both in flavor and nutrition
- It's a slightly fancier version of your favorite childhood food
HOW TO MAKE AN AVOCADO GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH
Soften the butter: If you have a tub of spreadable butter, then you can skip this step. If you're like me and only have sticks of butter, you'll have to soften the butter so that you can spread it on the bread. I like to place the tablespoon of butter in the microwave for 10-12 seconds to soften it.
Mash the avocado: While you can use avocado slices on the sandwich, the avocado mash makes it so that when you flip the sandwich in the skillet, the avocado stays in place.
Add the cheese: I'm not a huge fan of packaged sliced cheese, but in the case of a grilled cheese, it is PERFECT. It's affordable and it melts quickly, which is key when making a grilled cheese.
WHAT KIND OF BREAD SHOULD I USE?
The better the bread, the more delicious this sandwich will taste. I'm a sucker for a good loaf of sourdough bread, which is what I used in this recipe, but feel free to use YOUR favorite kind of bread.
CAN I ADD MORE INGREDIENTS?
Absolutely! This recipe is pretty basic (in a good way!), but if you want to jazz up your sandwich a bit, you could always add bacon, sliced tomato and/or spinach to it.
CAN I USE STORE BOUGHT BUFFALO SAUCE INSTEAD?
Sure can! The whole point of the homemade buffalo sauce is to show you that making your own sauce is incredibly easy. In fact, you might probably definitely already have all of the ingredients?!
OTHER TASTY SANDWICH RECIPES
Avocado Grilled Cheese with Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado
for the buffalo sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Make your grilled cheese: butter both slices of bread on one side. Then, on the opposite side of one piece, add mashed avocado. Place that piece butter-side down in a nonstick skillet. Add the cheese on top of the avocado spread, then the last piece of bread butter side up.
- Cook sandwich until cheese is melted, approximately 2 minutes per side.
- For the sauce: whisk all sauce ingredients together until mixture is smooth.
- Serve grilled cheese with the buffalo sauce and enjoy!