This creamy dairy free Mushroom Soup uses coconut milk in place of dairy and is flavored with plenty of shallots, mushrooms and bacon bits.
SOUP?! First I’ve got turkey burgers with apple slaw and now we’re onto soup. Could I be any more obvious in my desire for fall? Don’t worry, I still have plenty of summer recipes coming I swear, I’m just too excited about this mushroom soup, to be honest. It was my lunch this past Saturday and it did not disappoint.
Ok before we get into this recipe, I need to go on a mini rant because it’s been awhile. The other day I received a comment on my lamb bowl recipe saying that if I’m a disgusting person for eating meat and that I should think about the suffering animals more than myself. This isn’t the first time and it won’t be the last time I receive a comment like this. Here’s the thing: I put myself out here on the internet to be judged—all bloggers do—I just don’t know why a rude tone needs to be used when leaving a comment. There’s a way to kindly disagree, and it never hurt anyone to just keep your opinion to yourself (assuming you don’t have anything nice to say).
I already ranted about it on Instagram so that’s all I’ll say on here, but I just wanted to say that I’m doing the best I can for ME. Cheers to having different food philosophies and doing what works best for YOUR body and makes YOU happy.
Today, right now, that happiness is coming from this dairy free mushroom soup.
Honestly, mushrooms on their own aren’t my favorite food, but when flavored with shallots and bacon, uhhh yeah, they kind of become my favorite thing. I prepped this soup similarly to how I prepped my potato soup recipe—by sautéing everything together and then blending HALF of the mixture in the blender and leaving half as-is so that this soup is super creamy but with some whole mushrooms and bacon bits in it.
It’s perfect and kind of fall but also kind of summer because…mushrooms. So make it!
Dairy Free Mushroom Soup
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 2/3 cups shallots, diced
- 1 lb. mixed mushrooms (I used a mix of baby bella, cremini and shiitake)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 2/3 cups canned coconut milk*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a skillet; remove it with a fork and set it aside but DO NOT drain the bacon fat.
- Add oil or ghee to the same skillet and then add the shallots; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes and then add the mushrooms and parsley.
- Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes or until they become soft and then add the broth and milk; simmer soup for an additional 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, add approximately HALF of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. You can choose to add more or less to the blender depending on how creamy you want the soup to be.
- Pour the soup from the blender back into the skillet; stir everything together and divide into bowls.
*I used full fat milk, but I imagine light coconut milk would work as well