This creamy dairy free Mushroom Soup uses coconut milk in place of dairy and is flavored with shallots, mushrooms and bacon. It’s Whole30-compliant and an easy make-ahead meal!
Soup season might just be my favorite season, especially when Whole30 mushroom soup is involved. If you’re doing Whole30, I imagine you’re probably looking for more recipes, right? I’ve done two Whole30’s, so I know how important it is to switch it up. Also, as a side note, be sure to check out my list of Whole30 dinners for more ideas.
I’ve never been a fan of canned mushroom soup, but homemade soup is a different story. This paleo cream of mushroom soup is to DIE FOR, and it makes plenty of servings so you’re sure to have leftovers.
WHY THIS DAIRY FREE MUSHROOM SOUP IS SO GOOD
- Shallots add a TON of flavor, as does the bacon
- It’s made with a combination of chicken broth and coconut milk, meaning it’s super creamy
- It’s ready in under 15 minutes!
HOW TO MAKE MUSHROOM SOUP
Cook the bacon and sauté the shallots: make sure to use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon, so the bacon grease stays in the skillet. Then, you’ll cook the shallot in the bacon grease (so good!).
Choose a variety of mushrooms: Technically, you can use the same kind of mushrooms–i.e., all baby bella–but the soup will have an even better flavor if you use a variety of mushrooms, like baby bella, cremini and/or shiitake.
Blend it all up! Personally, I don’t love soups that are fully cream-based, so I like to blend HALF of the soup, and then leave the other half as-is so there’s still whole mushrooms in the soup.
HOW DO I STORE SOUP?
Store the soup in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or you can freeze it for up to a month. If you opt to freeze the soup, you may need to add extra bacon and/or black pepper to it to bring some of the flavor back (occasionally, some flavor may diminish if soup is frozen for an extended period of time). But, it should still taste good and texture-wise be spot on.
WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD OF BACON?
Sausage would work, as would any vegan bacon substitute. Or, you can omit the meat altogether, though the bacon does add extra flavor.
OTHER SOUP RECIPESPrint
Dairy Free Mushroom Soup
This dairy free mushroom soup is whole30 compliant and made with bacon, coconut milk and chicken broth. It’s ready in 15 minutes and an easy make-ahead meal.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: lunch
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: soup
- 2 slices bacon*
- 2 tbsp olive oil or ghee
- 2/3 cups shallots, diced
- 1 lb. mixed mushrooms (I used a mix of baby bella, cremini and shiitake)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 2/3 cups canned coconut milk**
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a skillet; remove it with a fork and set it aside but DO NOT drain the bacon fat.
- Add oil or ghee to the same skillet and then add the shallots; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes and then add the mushrooms and parsley.
- Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes or until they become soft and then add the broth and milk; simmer soup for an additional 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, add approximately HALF of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. You can choose to add more or less to the blender depending on how creamy you want the soup to be.
- Pour the soup from the blender back into the skillet then add the bacon back in; stir everything together and divide into bowls.
*If you’re following Whole30, make sure the bacon is sugar-free
**I used full fat milk, but I imagine light coconut milk would work as well
Keywords: mushroom soup, paleo cream of mushroom soup, whole30 mushroom soup