These Plum Quinoa Muffins are made with almond flour, contain zero refined sugar and are packed with quinoa and plums. What’s not to love?!
Plums are the best but also the worst because they’re only in season for maaaaaybe a month. Kind of like rhubarb. They’re SO good but you have to get them RIGHTNOW before it’s too late, which is why I figured I better share these plum quinoa muffins with you ASAP.
These days, I’m always trying to find new ways to enjoy quinoa, because though I like it, I don’t always love it. It has to be mixed with the right flavors and seasonings, or in this case, hidden into sweet (though not too sweet) muffins. It may just be my favorite way to enjoy quinoa, especially because I tend to enjoy it savory, but it surpassingly works in a sweeter recipe. Also, I’ve decided that almond flour is my favorite—or at least my current favorite—gluten free flour to bake with. I like the taste better than coconut flour and some of the other flours intimidate me, so almond flour it is!
Essentially, these quinoa muffins are made with almond flour, contain ZERO refined sugar, have some protein in them thanks to the quinoa, and are packed with plums! What’s not to love? They’re sweetened with maple syrup and cinnamon rather than sugar, making them truly guilt-free.
Tip: Make sure to use THIN slices of plums for the ones you place on top of the muffins. Otherwise, the plums will weigh down the muffin tops and they won’t fully rise and/or they’ll sink in once you take them out of the oven.
Oh and while you’re at it, make sure you pick up a few extra plums so you can whip up this stone fruit ceviche, too!
*recipe inspired by this recipe, but made gluten free and a tad healthier
Almond Flour Plum Quinoa MuffinsPrint Rate
- 2 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup raw white quinoa
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 plums
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, quinoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs together and then add the syrup, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a large spoon to stir everything together.
- Next, chop on 1 1/2 of the plums into small pieces and add the chopped plums to the batter, stirring it so that everything is evenly combined. For the other 1 1/2 plums, thinly slice them and then set the plum slices aside.
- Line your muffin pan with muffin liners and then pour batter evenly into the liners. Next, place the plum slices on top of the muffins, adding no more than 2 slices per muffin.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from oven and wait 10 minutes for them to cool a bit before removing them from the tin.