Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Healthier Salted Caramel Sauce is made from maple syrup and coconut cream, is extremely smooth and takes just 30 minutes to make from start to finish.
Ok so none of these photos do this caramel sauce justice. You see, I’ve seen my fair share of caramel sauce recipes this fall. I knew I wanted to make my own and I knew I wanted it to be healthy, but I wanted it to be GOOD. Not like “oh that’s good for being healthy” good, like GOOD GOOD. You know I’m a huge date caramel fan so I definitely considered going that route, but ultimately decided that I wanted the real deal. So that’s where this healthier salted caramel sauce comes in.
I’ve made this caramel sauce at least 20 times, so you know it has to be good. It’s simple to prepare, and can easily be doubled if needed. Oh, and did I mention it tastes good when paired with practically any dessert? It’s true!
RECIPES WITH CARAMEL SAUCE INCLUDE:
HEALTHY CARAMEL SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- coconut cream
- maple syrup
- butter – regular or dairy free
- coconut oil
- coconut sugar
- vanilla extract
HEALTHIER SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE RECIPE
For this caramel sauce, I opted to use maple syrup and coconut cream as the base. I experimented with four other ways and liked this one the best. I tried using a ton of butter but decided that wasn’t the route I wanted to take, and I also tried using a ton of coconut sugar but thought it tasted a little too coconut-y for my liking. This recipe is simple as can be and takes approximately 30 minutes from start to finish. You’ll want to put the ingredients in the pan and stir occasionally, but you really don’t need to be attentive until the final five minutes or so.
- Let the mixture come boil–small bubbles will form–but be careful that the heat is on low so it doesn’t run over your saucepan.
- Use a wooden spoon or whisk to stir the mixture constantly for five straight minutes. Typically, I set my timer for 25 minutes to allow the caramel sauce to form, then once that goes off I attend to the caramel sauce and whisk away for 5 more minutes.
HOW TO STORE CARAMEL SAUCE
If you’re planning on using the caramel sauce right away, I recommend keeping it in a glass jar or cup at room temperature. If you’re making it ahead of time, store it in the refrigerator and simply heat it up before you want to use it.
Healthier Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter*
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar**
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place all ingredients into a pot over the stovetop and bring to a boil, stirring so that everything is combined.
- Once mixture starts boiling, turn heat on low and simmer mixture for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 25 minutes, stir the caramel continuously for the remaining 5 minutes, allowing it to thicken.
- Pour caramel in a jar or container and allow it to cool; this will help the caramel thicken up a bit too.
**Can sub for regular sugar