These Gluten Free Apple Cupcakes are made with almond flour, cinnamon and shredded apples and are topped with a simple vanilla icing.
I promised you a slightly less healthy dessert last week, so here ya go! Gluten free apple cupcakes are heeeeere! ….because berry season is officially “over” in the blogosphere, even though I’m currently enjoying a bowl of raspberries and blueberries… September is my favorite because it’s a crossover from summer into fall, both in terms of weather and food typically. Ok but what I really want to talk about is the apple-themed dinner I attended last month.
Yes you read that right: apple. themed. dinner. aka AMAZING. I think the theme forced everyone to get a little creative; I knew there was one attendee who was gluten free, hence these gluten free apple cupcakes.
The dinner was hosted by Ashley and Quelcy at Ashley’s home, and the set up was just stunning. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I love the internet world and the opportunities it provides, but getting to meet internet people in real life is what it’s all about. Making connections and finding common ground—I love it. So yeah, we gathered, we chatted, we ate tons of delicious food and it was lovely. Along with all the other recipes (which I’ve listed at the bottom of this post) were these apple cupcakes, so let’s chat about them real quick.
I already mentioned my recent love of almond flour here, so it should come as no surprise that I opted to use it as the base in this cupcake recipe. Almond flour, cinnamon and shredded apples make up the base of these cupcakes, and then they’re topped with a simple icing made of butter, almond milk and powered sugar. The cupcakes are already pretty apple-cinnamon-y, so I opted to just use plain vanilla icing. Of course if you’d like to add a pinch of cinnamon to it that wouldn’t be the worst thing ever!
Ok enough talking! Here are some photos from our dinner, with the blogger recipes listed below. Enjoy!
Here’s the full dinner menu below:
Cheese board with apple chutney, apple cider punch and apple rice pilaf by Ashley of My Heart Beets
Mexican chorizo apple hash with soft boiled eggs by Isabel of Isabel Eats
Sweet and savory brussels sprouts skillet by Alexa of Fooduzzi
Carrot, apple and ginger soup by Emily of Good Food PGH
Crockpot cinnamon applesauce and honey mustard sesame shredded pork by Kelly of New Leaf Wellness
Apple cheddar scones by Lindsey of Food Mood Girl
Zucchini layer cake with apple butter frosting by Quelcy of With the Grains
Gluten Free Apple Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, syrup and vanilla together. Combine wet and dry ingredients into the same bowl, and then stir in the shredded apple by hand.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and distribute the cupcake batter evenly. Bake cupcakes for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before removing them from the tin.
- While cupcakes are cooling, prepare the icing. Stir butter, milk and vanilla together with an electric mixer, and then add the powdered sugar.
- Wait until cupcakes have completely cooled before icing them.