Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Almond Banana Bread recipe takes traditional banana bread to the next level! It uses almond extract and sliced almonds to add a subtle almond flavor to this moist banana bread.
Who can turn down a slice of banana bread with a side of coffee? Exactly, you can't. This almond banana bread recipe is perfectly moist and a fun spin on the traditional recipe. Plus, banana bread is the perfect way to use up ripe bananas! Well, that and banana pancakes.
It uses a combination of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, coconut oil and almond extract, making it a bit healthier than traditional banana bread. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- It's made with almond extract and topped with sliced almonds for extra almond-y flavor
- It's the PERFECT texture
- It uses whole wheat flour, making it a bit healthier
- The glaze on top makes it all that more delicious
Flour: The recipe calls for a combination of whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, which helps to make the bread less dense than only using whole wheat flour.
Coconut oil: I've said it before, but coconut oil is my go-to oil when it comes to baking. With that said, feel free to substitute any kind of oil.
Eggs: The recipe calls for eggs, but if you want to keep it egg-free, feel free to use flax eggs instead (2 tbsp flaxseed meal+5 tbsp water)
Almond milk: While any milk will work, I'd say to stick with the almond milk, as it'll only help to give the bread even more almond-y flavor.
Almond extract: Almond extract is the key ingredient in this recipe! Whatever you do, don't leave it out or substitute it or anything -- you'll be blown away by the flavor it provides.
Step 1: Mash the banana. Place ripe bananas in a bowl and use a fork to mash them, removing as many lumps as possible.
Step 2: Mix wet ingredients. Whisk the eggs, oil, milk, and almond extract together. Make sure the eggs and oil are at room temperature before mixing them; otherwise, the oil with solidify.
Step 3: Stir dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix both flours, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together.
Step 4: Fold, then bake. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, being careful not to over-mix, then stir the sliced almonds in by hand. Scoop batter into a greased 9x5 bread pan, then bake the bread for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Use sliced almonds rather than whole almonds. Sliced almonds will mix better and they’re easier to bake into bread!
- Be sure to use ripe bananas. I know this is a no-brainer, but the riper the banana the better the bread will taste and the easier they'll be to mash down.
- Be sure to line your loaf pan with parchment paper before adding the batter. To line your pan: Place your pan on top of a piece of parchment, then use a pencil to trace the bottom of it. Use scissors to cut it out, then place it into your loaf pan. This guarantees that the bread won't stick to the pan.
- Always wait until the bread has completely cooled to room temperature before slicing to ensure a clean slice and avoid the bread potentially falling apart.
Can I make this gluten free/vegan?
I haven't tested this recipe with any gluten free flours, so I'm really not sure. If you want to try it, you can try using gluten free all purpose flour. Also, someone in the comment section said they tried this with almond flour and it worked, but I haven't tested it.
To make vegan: Simply sub 2 flax eggs in place of real eggs. To do so, mix 2 tbsp flaxseed meal with 5 tbsp water, stir together and wait 5 minutes before incorporating it into the bread batter.
How should I store this?
You can either store the bread at room temperature or freeze it. This article from Yahoo explains how to perfectly store banana bread.
More bread recipes
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Almond Banana Bread
- 2 bananas ripe
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted, room temperature
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sliced almonds
For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Use a fork to mash the bananas into the bottom of a bowl, removing as many lumps as possible.
- Add the eggs, oil, milk, and almond extract to the bowl with the bananas and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, stir both flours, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together, then stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Last, stir the almonds in by hand.
- Grease a 9x5 bread pan, then pour the batter into the pan and bake bread for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Leave bread in bread pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the edges and carefully invert it onto a cooling rack.
- While bread is cooling, prepare the glaze: Place sliced almonds on a baking sheet and toast them for 7-10 minutes, or until they're slightly golden brown. Meanwhile, stir powdered sugar, milk and extract together.
- Once the bread has cooled, drizzle the glaze overtop, then sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Slice and enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in October 2016. It was updated with new text and photos in October 2020.