This Almond Banana Bread recipe takes traditional banana bread to the next level! It uses almond extract and sliced almonds to add a subtle almond flavor to the banana, and it’s dairy free.
Monday, Monday, Monday.. HALLOWEEN. I wish I had a Halloween-theme recipe for you today, but alas, I do not. I do have this awesome almond banana bread recipe though, which many of you seem excited about on Instagram, so maybe that counts for something.
How was your Hallo-weened?!! Woof, did I really just say that? Mine was eventful to say the least! I ended up buying a tutu at Target for $5 and going as a dancer, which is about as lazy as you can get but… it worked! Also shockingly no one gave me that hard of a time about it. Saturday was spent doing blog stuff and creating a tasty chocolate recipe that you may have seen on IG stories, before heading downtown to celebrate Miguel’s friends birthday. And today is Halloween! …though slightly uneventful considering we don’t hand candy out in our apartment complex. One year!
So about this bread…
I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t enjoy banana bread—it’s just so moist!! <—necessary use of that word. The only thing better than plain banana bread is banana bread combined with another flavor, like say, chocolate or in this case, almond. Mhmmmm, we’re doing it. Besides the ripe bananas, the key ingredient in this recipe is the almond extract. Whatever you do, don’t think about leaving it out because it’s a necessity. The good news is that most places that sell vanilla extract also sell almond extract (perhaps this is old news).
Tip: Use sliced almonds rather than whole almonds. Sliced almonds will mix better and they’re easier to bake into bread! Also, be sure to use ripe bananas. I know this is a no-brainer, but the riper the banana the easier they are to mash down.
Like many of my recipes, this one can easily be made dairy free by using almond milk in place of regular milk. Plus, the almond milk gives it just that much more almond flavor, which in this case is a very good thing.
Though the almond extract is the key ingredient, the best part of this almond banana bread is the glaze, which s made with powdered sugar, milk, almond extract, and sliced almonds. I die! It’s so good. You MUST try it, and when you do, be sure to tag #thealmondeater on Instagram!Print
Almond Banana Bread
This almond banana bread recipe takes traditional banana bread to the next level by adding almond extract and toasted almonds.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: bread
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork, removing as many lumps as possible; set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave or over stovetop and set aside, allowing a few minutes for it to cool down.
- Whisk milk and eggs into the bowl with the bananas; once the oil has cooled a bit, add the oil, along with the almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Last, gently fold in the almonds by hand.
- Line a bread pan with coconut oil and then pour batter into pan, dropping the pan down on the counter a few times to evenly spread out the batter.
- Place pan in the oven and bake bread for 55-60 minutes. Use a toothpick to check doneness of the bread.
- Remove bread from the oven and leave it in the pan for 10 minutes or so before carefully removing it and placing it on a cooling rack. Keep the oven on!
- While bread is cooling, prepare the glaze: Place sliced almonds on a baking sheet and toast them for 7-10 minutes, or until they’re slightly golden brown. Meanwhile, stir powdered sugar, milk and extract together with an electric mixer; stir in the toasted almonds by hand.
- Once the bread has cooled, pour the glaze overtop.
- Slice and enjoy!
Keywords: banana bread, almond bread, almond banana bread