This Almond Banana Bread recipe takes traditional banana bread to the next level! It uses almond extract and sliced almonds to add a subtle almond flavor to the banana, and it’s dairy free.
Who can turn down a slice of banana bread with a side of coffee? Exactly, you can’t.
This almond banana bread recipe is perfectly moist and a fun spin on the traditional recipe. Plus, banana bread is the perfect way to use up ripe bananas! The riper the bananas, the better. That way, they’re easier to mash AND they provide more flavor. It uses whole wheat flour, coconut oil and almond extract, making it better for you than traditional banana bread. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
WHY THIS ALMOND BANANA BREAD IS SO GOOD
- It’s made with almond extra and topped with sliced almonds for extra almond-y flavor
- It’s the PERFECT texture
- It uses whole wheat flour, making it a bit healthier
- The glaze on top makes it all that more delicious
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND BANANA BREAD
- Coconut oil: I’ve said it before, but coconut oil is my go-to oil when it comes to baking. With that said, feel free to substitute any kind of oil.
- Eggs: The recipe calls for eggs, but if you want to keep it egg-free, feel free to use flax eggs instead (2 tbsp flaxseed meal+5 tbsp water)
- Almond milk: While any milk will work, I’d say to stick with the almond milk, as it’ll only help to give the bread even more almond-y flavor.
- Almond extract: Almond extract is the key ingredient in this recipe! Whatever you do, don’t leave it out or substitute it or anything — you’ll be blown away by the flavor it provides.
Tip: Use sliced almonds rather than whole almonds. Sliced almonds will mix better and they’re easier to bake into bread! Also, be sure to use ripe bananas. I know this is a no-brainer, but the riper the banana the easier they are to mash down.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER TASTY BREAD RECIPES
Almond Banana Bread
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup sliced almonds
For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork, removing as many lumps as possible; set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave or over stovetop and set aside, allowing a few minutes for it to cool down.
- Whisk milk and eggs into the bowl with the bananas; once the oil has cooled a bit, add the oil, along with the almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Last, gently fold in the almonds by hand.
- Line a bread pan with coconut oil and then pour batter into pan, dropping the pan down on the counter a few times to evenly spread out the batter.
- Place pan in the oven and bake bread for 55-60 minutes. Use a toothpick to check doneness of the bread.
- Remove bread from the oven and leave it in the pan for 10 minutes or so before carefully removing it and placing it on a cooling rack. Keep the oven on!
- While bread is cooling, prepare the glaze: Place sliced almonds on a baking sheet and toast them for 7-10 minutes, or until they're slightly golden brown. Meanwhile, stir powdered sugar, milk and extract together with an electric mixer; stir in the toasted almonds by hand.
- Once the bread has cooled, pour the glaze overtop.
- Slice and enjoy!