This creamy Vegan Cauliflower Soup recipe is made with cauliflower, almond milk and tempeh and topped with crispy kale chips for added texture.
It’s SOUP SEASON!! I mean, kind of. It’s September, which means it’s a strong mix of warm and cold. However, I was sick a couple days ago when I made this recipe and it absolutely hit the spot.
I know—how can cauliflower POSSIBLY hit the spot—I sound like one of those people. I don’t really know when cauliflower became so trendy—it’s been awhile and it’s still going strong—but I imagine there was a time when people only ate cauliflower as a side. Weird! Now there’s cauliflower pizza and cauliflower rice and cauliflower meatballs and now cauliflower soup.
Look at me defending cauliflower. But it IS comforting and creamy and vegan and just… good.
VEGAN CAULIFLOWER SOUP RECIPE
This cauliflower soup recipe uses a combination of milk, vegetable and cauliflower to create a creamy texture. Those three things plus the addition of veggies–including crispy kale–and tempeh creates a delicious and good-for-you soup recipe.
Have you ever tried tempeh? I’m just going to come out and say it: I’m OBSESSED. It tends to be my go-to “meat” for lunch, and it goes perfectly in this soup recipe. Everyone loves potato soup with bacon, so this is the vegan version of that but with cauliflower (HI veggies!) and tempeh.
TIPS FOR MAKING CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SOUP
Use a high-power blender: I know, I know, this is kind of a silly tip, but as you might assume, a high-power blender is going to help make this soup extra creamy and delicious. I know quality blenders make a difference because I used to own a cheap one a couple years ago and it was the worst. This is my current blender, and I LOVE it.
Choose the right tempeh: What I mean by this is that it’s easier if your tempeh is already marinated. Yes, you can absolutely buy plain tempeh and marinate it yourself, but buying pre-marinated tempeh allows you to skip a step. Personally, I like the LightLife “fakin’ bacon” flavor.
Making kale chips: I also topped this soup recipe with kale chips because why not?! Kale chips are underrated in my opinion, but they add a great texture to this soup, though they do get soft once they’re fully immersed in the soup, so it’s best to keep them on top of the soup if possible.
I hope you enjoy this cauliflower soup recipe as much as I did!
OTHER TASTY SOUP RECIPESPrint
Creamy Vegan Cauliflower Soup with Tempeh
This creamy vegan cauliflower soup is made with cauliflower, filled with tempeh and topped with crispy kale chips.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: lunch
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: soup
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 32 oz. vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk*
- 2 heads of cauliflower, chopped with leaves removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4–8 strips flavored tempeh, cooked
- 2 cups kale, stems removed
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Then, add garlic and celery and cook for an extra 2 minutes.
- Add broth, milk and cauliflower, cover skillet and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is soft.
- Meanwhile, place kale on a baking sheet, drizzle with a bit of olive oil and cook for 5-10 minutes or until kale is crispy but not burnt. It cooks quickly, so be sure to check every few minutes. One cooked, place kale aside.
- At this point, you’re also going to want to cook the tempeh if you haven’t already. I cook mine in a skillet with a bit of olive oil.
- Once soup is done, place HALF of the soup in a blender and pulse until smooth. Pour mixture back into the skillet and stir in the cooked tempeh.
- Pour soup into bowls and top with kale chips. Season with extra salt and pepper if desired.
*or dairy free milk of choice
Keywords: cauliflower soup, vegan cauliflower soup, soup with tempeh