Pasta, chicken sausage and peas all coated in a creamy, spicy sauce is what this Italian Chicken Sausage Pasta is all about! The best part is that it's ready in under 25 minutes, and it's still delicious the next day.
Besides my lentil bolognese, this chicken sausage pasta might be my favorite pasta recipe on my site.
You know I'm a huge fan of recipes that use sausage. There's my one pot gnocchi with sausage, my spicy sausage potato soup and my chorizo sweet potato soup, all of which are reader favorites. Well, this pasta lightens it up just a bit by using chicken sausage -- so good!
If you need a quick weeknight meal the whole family will love, this is it!
- Pasta - any kind; can use regular or gluten free pasta
- Chicken sausage - preferably Italian, but can also use andouille or any kind other than apple
- Marinara sauce - use your favorite kind! Traditional, tomato basil, arrabbiata, etc.
- Milk - dairy or dairy-free. I used oat milk and it worked great.
- Heavy cream - can sub half and half or omit altogether. If you omit, use extra milk instead.
First: Cook the pasta in a saucepan as you normally would.
Second: Cook chicken sausage in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Once it's cooked, add the butter and garlic and sauté for one minute.
Third: Lower the heat, then add the marinara sauce, milk, cream, peas, and red pepper flakes and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the peas are cooked. Top the whole dish with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and dig in!
- Don't want to use heavy cream? Try using half and half instead.
- Gluten free pasta works great in this recipe.
- Top the whole thing off with shaved parmesan, goat cheese or even burrata.
Can I reheat this dish?
Of course! You can easily place it in the microwave, but personally, I think the sauce maintains its flavor and texture a bit better if it's reheated in a skillet.
What sides go well with this meal?
Technically, this is a one pan kind of meal, since it includes pasta, sausage and peas. But, if you want an additional side, you could try my roasted carrots with pesto or my easy fried brussels sprouts.
More pasta recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Italian Chicken Sausage Pasta
- 12 oz. pasta
- 2 links chicken sausage Italian or spicy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 24 oz. marinara sauce favorite kind
- ½ cup milk any kind
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup parmesan optional
- Cook pasta in a saucepan as you normally would.
- In a separate large skillet or dutch oven, cook the chicken sausage with the olive oil over medium heat.
- Next, add the butter and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Then, reduce heat to medium-low and add the marinara sauce, milk, cream, peas, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper; stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a low simmer and simmer for 2-3 minute or until peas are cooked. Remove from heat, then add parmesan cheese.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and stir to combine. Top with more parmesan cheese and enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in October 2014. It was updated with new text and photos in October 2020.