These Flourless Peanut Butter Chickpea Pancakes make a wonderful post workout or weekend morning breakfast. They contain tons of protein thanks to the chickpeas and peanut butter and they taste delicious! If you’re a peanut butter lover, you’ll love these pancakes!
I am beyond excited to share these chickpea pancakes with you–trust me when I say they’re going to be your new favorite breakfast! I’ve never been a pancake person–I almost always prefer eggs in the morning–but ever since purchasing a griddle, pancakes have been a lot easier to whip up. Do you own one? I don’t know what took me so long to get one, but I’m never looking back.
I’m always looking for ways to sneak in natural sources of protein. That’s not to say I dislike or never use protein powder, but if you can get protein in the form of a food then why not?! Chickpeas to the rescue! I’ve seen a handful of recipes with chickpea flour, but I think using actual chickpeas is a little more practical because a can of chickpeas is easier to find than chickpea flour, and it’s more affordable because most cans of chickpeas are $1.50 or less.
FLOURLESS PANCAKE INGREDIENTS
- peanut butter
- maple syrup
- baking soda blah
See? Accessible ingredients! If I’m being honest, the peanut butter flavor is pretty subtle, so if you really want these to be true peanut butter pancakes, I recommend drizzling some on top for good measure.
WHY THESE CHICKPEA PANCAKES ARE SO GOOD
- Delicious on their own
- Even more delicious with a dollop of peanut butter
- Even MORE delicious smothered in chocolate and maple syrup
- Awesome when you’re craving something sweet for breakfast, but still want something healthy
HOW TO MAKE CHICKPEA PANCAKES
Pour chickpeas into a strainer and rinse them off completely. This is important because you don’t want any of the liquid from the can to be on the chickpeas. Once they’re rinsed, you’ll pour the chickpeas into a blender.
Note: I almost always make my pancakes in a blender these days. I think it’s easier to blend everything up that way, and it means less dishes when you’re done. However, you can absolutely make them by hand. If you prefer this route, simply blend the chickpeas in a food processor, then transfer them to a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients, and then mix everything together with an electric mixer.
Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and then blend everything for 30 seconds or so or until the batter is smooth. If you want to add chocolate chips to the batter, do so now. I recommend pouring 1/4 cup chocolate chips into the blender then using a spoon to mix them around.
Step 3: Grease your griddle or skillet with a bit of coconut oil, then pour the batter in. Make sure the heat is on medium as to not burn the pancakes!
TOPPINGS: Toppings are arguably the best part of making pancakes. I kept it simple and added bananas, peanut butter, a few chocolate chips, and maple syrup, but the possibilities are truly endless. Any kind of fruit would be delicious, as would some chia seeds or maybe even more nut butter. Go crazy!
MORE EASY PANCAKE RECIPES:
Flourless Chickpea Pancakes - Made with Actual Chickpeas
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp organic maple syrup
- Pour chickpeas into a strainer, then rinse them off completely; then, pour chickpeas into a blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the blender and pulse for 30 seconds or until the batter is smooth.
- Grease a griddle or skillet with coconut oil or nonstick spray and pour batter onto skillet. Once batter starts bubbling, use spatula and carefully flip pancake over. Once both sides are cooked, remove from heat. Continue process until batter is gone.
- Top pancakes with extra peanut butter, fruit and/or chocolate chips.