Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Easy Tofu Scramble is a delicious, plant-based and protein-packed breakfast recipe that’s ready in just 10 minutes!
You know I love finding new ways to use tofu. Normally, I opt for my crispy baked tofu, or I fry it in a skillet like in this tofu stir fry recipe. But, if and when I want it for breakfast, a tofu scramble is the way to go!
See, I adore eggs — I do — and though I hate to admit it, sometimes I get a little sick of them. That’s where this easy faux-egg recipe comes in handy.
Why you’ll love this
- Tofu’s loaded with protein — 10 grams per 1/2 cup to be exact — making this a filling breakfast option
- It’s ready in under 10 minutes
- It pairs perfectly with toast, roasted veggies and/or in any breakfast skillet (like this chickpea breakfast)
Tofu – Make sure to use firm tofu — not extra firm or silken, but regular firm tofu
Nutritional yeast – Not only does this help with coloring, but it gives the tofu tons of flavor.
Spices – Garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper all add flavor and depth to this recipe.
Step 1: Press the tofu. Unlike many other tofu recipes, you don’t have to press as much liquid out or for nearly as long. I didn’t even use my tofu press; instead, I used a few paper towels to blot the tofu dry, absorbing some of the moisture.
Step 2: Cook the tofu. Place the block directly into a large skillet, heat over medium and use a wooden spoon to break it up until it resembles the texture of scrambled eggs.
Step 3: Add the spices. Once the tofu’s broken up, sprinkle the nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, turmeric, onion powder, and black pepper over top, stirring so that the tofu is completely coated. Cook the tofu for 5-10 minutes, adding more seasoning as needed.
I’ll admit, there are several ways to season tofu to make it taste similar to eggs. This is my personal favorite, but feel free to play around with the seasonings and adjust to your liking.
Storage: Store tofu in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Want to jazz up this scramble? Try adding the following to the skillet with the tofu:
- Bell peppers
- Grape tomatoes
- + more
Can I use silken/extra firm tofu instead?
Technically yes, but it’ll change the texture a bit. If you’re able to, opt for firm tofu, but if you have silken/extra firm in your refrigerator, you should be fine to use that.
What should I serve this with?
This scramble would be perfectly with some tempeh bacon, a piece of toast, avocado, roasted potatoes — so many options! You could even whip up my zucchini noodle breakfast bowl and use this scramble instead of eggs.
More vegan breakfast recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
- 1 block firm tofu
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper plus more to taste
- chives for garnish
- Use a few paper towels or a dish towel to press some of the liquid out of the tofu. Do this for 1 minute or so, then transfer the tofu to a large skillet, along with the olive oil.
- Heat oil over medium heat, then use a wooden spoon to break up the tofu until it resembles the texture of scrambled eggs.
- Sprinkle the remaining ingredients over top, stirring so that the tofu is completely coated. Cook the tofu for 5-10 minutes, then enjoy immediately.