This Buffalo Chicken Pasta is a fun twist on one of the best party dips. A great way to use up leftover chicken, this cheesy and filling pasta dinner can be made in just 15 minutes!
Creamy, loaded dips, like buffalo chicken dip and spinach artichoke dip, are always a hit at parties. How happy would you be if I told you that you can capture the magic of a classic party dip in a creamy, rich, and saucy pasta dinner?
This Buffalo Chicken Pasta is a fun, filling, and easy way to enjoy all the flavors of buffalo chicken dip for dinner. It’s a simple recipe that’s made in one pot, so you can rejoice in the simplicity, easy clean up, and BIG flavors once it’s done.
Each bite of this buffalo chicken pasta recipe is loaded with shredded chicken, a tangy and cheesy buffalo sauce, pasta noodles, and blue cheese dressing. When you’re short on time, feel free to use leftover chicken or precooked pasta to really speed up the cooking process!
- A saucy and comforting pasta dinner that tastes just like buffalo chicken dip.
- It’s packed with addictive tangy and spicy flavors.
- A one pot meal that can be put together in as little as 15 minutes.
- Super easy to make gluten free or vegetarian!
- Shredded chicken - I usually use skinless boneless chicken breasts to make shredded chicken but thighs or tenderloins work as well. When you’re in a rush, buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and shred it with two forks.
- Pasta - Use your favorite short pasta noodles or gluten free pasta instead.
- Green bell pepper - Sub this for a diced jalapeño if you like things extra spicy.
- Buffalo sauce - Your favorite store-bought buffalo wing sauce is the way to go here; it’s quick, easy, perfectly spicy, and delicious.
- Cream cheese and yogurt - These are needed to help the homemade buffalo sauce turn out extra creamy and tangy, and also tone down the heat. You can omit the cream cheese and sub in extra plain yogurt if you like.
Step 1: Prepare your ingredients. Chop the veggies, cook and shred the chicken, and cook and drain the pasta according to package directions. Be sure to reserve 1 cup of pasta water!
Step 2: Saute the veggies. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper and minced garlic and cook until soft and fragrant.
Step 3: Make your buffalo cheese sauce. Whisk the reserved pasta water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Pour it into the skillet, then stir in the cheddar cheese, buffalo sauce, cream cheese, yogurt, and salt. Bring the sauce to a low simmer and allow it to thicken for a few minutes.
Step 4: Mix everything together. Take the sauce off of the heat, then toss in your shredded chicken and cooked pasta. Stir to coat, garnish with a sprinkling of green onion and blue cheese, serve, and enjoy!
Expert tips and FAQs
- If you’ve never shredded cooked chicken before, my Whole 30 Chicken Salad recipe will show you how.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a crowd—just be sure to use a very large skillet to make your buffalo cheese sauce.
- Add more veggies to this recipe if you’d like. Diced celery, broccoli, frozen peas, or cauliflower would give each bite extra substance and nutrition.
- Wanna take it to the next level? To make a buffalo chicken pasta bake, add the sauce-covered pasta and chicken to a casserole dish and top it with breadcrumbs and cheddar or mozzarella cheese. Broil it in the oven for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
- Not into blue cheese dressing? Top the buffalo pasta with ranch dressing, caesar dressing, hot sauce, barbecue sauce, or chipotle aioli instead.
Can you make this buffalo chicken recipe in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely! Use Saute mode to saute the bell pepper and garlic in oil. Add in 2 cups of milk (instead of pasta water), buffalo sauce, cream cheese, salt, raw chicken cut into small pieces, and uncooked pasta. Make sure the pasta is fully submerged.
Cancel Saute mode and cook on high pressure for 6 minutes. Quickly release the pressure, open the lid, and stir in your cheese and yogurt. Add a cornstarch slurry if your sauce is on the thinner side, then garnish, serve, and enjoy!
Can you make buffalo pasta with other meats?
Simply swap out the cooked chicken for cooked sausage, leftover steak, shrimp, or ground beef.
What goes well with buffalo chicken pasta?
Healthier, vegetable-forward sides like Instant Pot broccoli, tomato bacon green bean salad, or sauteed asparagus are always welcome next to this rich and cheesy pasta. Alternatively, keep things comforting and serve your pasta with caramelized onion quinoa or potato wedges.
How do you store buffalo chicken pasta?
You can store the leftover buffalo chicken pasta in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More easy pasta dinners
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- .5 lb. chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 8 oz. pasta cooked; can use gluten free pasta
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper diced; (or sub jalapeño to make it spicy)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup pasta water or milk of choice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- green onion and/or blue cheese for garnish
- If you haven't already, cook the chicken and the pasta; set aside. Follow these instructions for how to quickly cook/boil chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, then add the bell pepper and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the pepper is soft. Meanwhile, whisk the pasta water (or milk) and cornstarch together in a small bowl.
- Pour the water/milk mixture into the skillet and bring it to a low boil. Then, add in the cheese and whisk continuously until it's melted. Next, add in the buffalo sauce, cream cheese, yogurt, and salt and whisk to combine. Bring the sauce to a low simmer and simmer for 3-5 minutes until it thickens.
- Remove skillet from the heat. Add the shredded chicken and cooked pasta to the skillet and stir so that they're both coated in the sauce. Before serving, sprinkle chopped green onion and/or blue cheese overtop. Enjoy!