This cheesy Mushroom Truffle Mac and Cheese can be made in one skillet and in under 30 minutes. It combines truffle oil, mushrooms and parmesan cheese for a super tasty variation on traditional macaroni and cheese.
This truffle mac and cheese is life changing. ….which I realize is a BOLD statement, but it’s true. I’ve always loved truffle oil, but I used to only use it on top of popcorn. Turns out, it’s really tasty with pasta, too. This mac and cheese lasted no more than one full day in my house, and though that might sound embarrassing, I’m not ashamed. It’s that incredible!
Similar to many people, mac and cheese was a staple in my household growing up. Of course, we usually just ate boxed mac and cheese, but as I got older, I realized that homemade mac and cheese is really easy and quick, the two main requirements for me when deciding whether or not to make something at home. Try this for yourself and see just how easy it is!
WHY THIS TRUFFLE MAC AND CHEESE IS SO GOOD
- It’s made in one skillet, and there’s really nothing better than one skillet meals
- The truffle oil pairs perfectly with the parmesan and mushrooms
- It’s ready in under 30 minutes!
MAC AND CHEESE INGREDIENTS
Pasta: You can use ANY kind of pasta in this recipe: regular, whole wheat, gluten free–the choice is yours!
Mushrooms: Baby bella mushrooms are great with pasta. If you can, buy the pre-sliced kind to save yourself some prep work
Parmesan cheese: Buy a block of your favorite parmesan cheese so you can freshly grate it. Yes, it requires a little extra effort, but the cheese is the main part of this dish, so you want to make sure to use quality parmesan
Truffle oil: Truffle oil is usually on the pricier side, but unlike other oils, you don’t and shouldn’t use a lot of it–a little bit goes a LONG way! Buy yourself a bottle and it should last for at least a few months (this kind is my favorite!)
Thyme: If there’s one ingredient that’s optional, it’s the thyme. But, I think it adds a little extra flavor to the dish, so I do recommend it
TIPS FOR MAKING TRUFFLE MAC AND CHEESE
Once you add the cheese, you should be good to go. But, if the mixture seems too thick, add 1-2 tbsp milk and stir to thin everything out a bit.
Use some sort of shaped pasta–shells, penne, macaroni–rather than long noodles.
OTHER VEGETARIAN DINNER IDEAS
Mushroom & White Truffle Mac and Cheese
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 lb. pasta
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk of choice I used almond
- 2 tbsp flour**
- 2 tsp white truffle oil or more to taste
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and thyme, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are just starting to cook.
- Add in pasta, water, and milk and turn heat up to high; bring to a boil and cook until noodles are soft.
- Turn heat down to medium and add in 2 tbsp of flour, stirring really well.
- Add in truffle oil and cheese, stirring. If mixture still isn't thick enough, add in 1 more tbsp of flour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy OR:
- Optional: turn broiler on high and place skillet (as long as it's oven-safe) in oven and broil for 3-5 minutes or until cheese turns slightly golden in color.
**Gluten free for gluten free option. I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free blend. If you're not gluten free, any flour will work.