These simple Baked Sweet Potato Slices are lightly seasoned and ready in just 30 minutes. It’s a healthy and delicious side dish that’s flexible and pairs well with anything!
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables I can turn to whenever I’m looking for a healthy side dish to pair with dinner. Baked Sweet Potato Slices are particularly easy to make and only require simple seasonings! Plus, they go with almost everything.
Roasting the sweet potato slices in the oven as opposed to the microwave or air fryer is my method of choice here. Why? Because it’s practically hands-off, meaning you can let the potatoes do their thing while you focus on making the rest of the dinner.
Just like my microwaved sweet potato and savory mashed sweet potato recipes, this is a Whole30-approved dish you can have on the table in about 30 minutes. Serve them for weeknight dinners or turn to this recipe around Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, or any special occasion that requires crowd-pleasing sides.
- It’s a healthy side dish you can serve with all of your favorite main dishes or during the holidays.
- The potatoes are easy to prepare and lightly seasoned with oil, salt, and pepper. Feel free to mix up the seasonings as much as you want for extra flavor!
- Baking the potatoes is an almost set-it-and-forget-it cooking method that transforms the rounds into a tender and flavorful side.
Sweet potatoes - I made this recipe with medium-sized sweet potatoes and sliced them into ½-inch sized rounds.
Olive oil - Or you can use any neutral vegetable oil you already have on hand, melted butter, or ghee instead.
Salt and pepper - For flavor! Head to the Tips section for more seasonings that go well with sweet potatoes.
Step 1: Season the potatoes. Place the sweet potato rounds in a bowl. Pour the olive oil, salt, and pepper over top and toss until they’re well coated.
Step 2: Bake. Place the rounds in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake the potatoes in the oven until they’re tender and slightly crisp.
Step 3: Serve and enjoy. Add a little extra salt over the baked sweet potato slices, then enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- Peel or no peel? I like to bake the sweet potatoes with the peel on but you can peel them ahead of time if you want.
- Baking in an even layer is key. If the sweet potato rounds are overlapping, they won’t bake evenly and will steam instead of crisp.
- If you don’t want to slice the potatoes into rounds, cut them into cubes, wedges, or fries instead.
- Get creative with even more seasoning ideas. Sweet potatoes pair well with warm and sweet spices, like paprika, cinnamon, chili, cumin, garlic powder, za’atar, or cajun seasoning.
- Take them up a notch with the right garnishes. When they’re done baking, sprinkle the potatoes with fresh thyme or parsley, freshly grated parmesan cheese, or add a drizzle of brown butter or honey.
How long do sweet potatoes take to bake in the oven?
½-inch sweet potato rounds will take up to 30 minutes to bake in a 425ºF oven.
Can you make them in an air fryer instead?
While I love air fryer sweet potatoes, baking sweet potato rounds in the oven is my preferred method. Because the rounds are so large, you can only cook a few at a time in the air fryer to avoid overlapping.
What do you serve with roasted sweet potato slices?
Serve the potatoes with a side of ketchup, mayo, chipotle aioli, almond pesto, or your favorite dipping sauce of choice.
As for main dishes, sweet potatoes pair well with practically anything. Serve them as a side dish with garlic salmon, pan-seared chicken thighs, ground turkey stuffed peppers, and anything else you like.
Refrigerator: Store the leftover sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheating: Microwave the leftover potatoes until warmed through or place them on a baking sheet and heat in the oven at 400°F until warm and crisp (about 10 minutes).
More roasted vegetable recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- 3 medium sweet potatoes sliced into ½" rounds
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425° and spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place the sweet potato slices into a bowl, then drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Line the sweet potatoes onto your baking sheet in a single layer, ensuring they’re not overlapping. Drizzle any extra olive oil from the bowl over the potatoes.
- Bake the potatoes for 15 minutes, then remove them from the oven, flip them over and bake for an additional 12-15 minutes. Sprinkle with extra salt and enjoy!
Leave a Reply