Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Learn how to perfectly cook a sweet potato in the microwave with this step-by-step tutorial (with photos!). It's quick, easy and will become your new go-to method for cooking potatoes.
Fact: microwaving a sweet potato is the EASIEST way to cook a sweet potato. It's true! It takes 5-7 minutes total, and it's been my go-to way to cook potatoes for as long as I can remember.
Growing up, my mom would always make us baked potatoes in the microwave, so it's a method I'm familiar and comfortable with, and how I cook potatoes in many of my recipes. .... like my healthy sweet potato muffins and my vegan sweet potato pie.
It's quick, easy and efficient, and today I'm going to walk you through how to microwave a sweet potato so that it turns out perfectly each and every time.
Technically, the only ingredient you need is a sweet potato, so just keep that in mind.
- Sweet potato - small/medium
- Butter/ghee/olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Step 1: Wash potato. Run the potato under water, then use a potato scrubber or vegetable brush to scrub it clean, removing any dirt on the skin. Alternatively, you can use a paper towel or even your hands if you don't own a vegetable scrubber.
Step 2: Poke holes with a fork. Use a fork to poke several holes--15-20--on the outside of the potato, piercing it.
Step 3: Microwave. Place the potato on a microwave-safe plate, then microwave it for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Slice potato. Wait 1-2 minutes for potato to cool, then use a sharp knife to slice it down the center. If you plan on eating it, add your toppings and eat it as-is! If you're using it for a recipe, wait another minute or two before scooping out the flesh.
Tips and FAQs
Besides butter or ghee, you could also top your sweet potato with my easy chipotle aioli, or with a little brown sugar and cinnamon.
Why do I have to poke holes in the potato before microwaving it?
The holes allow steam to release. If you don't poke holes, the potato could explode in the microwave from steam being trapped.
How can I tell when the potato is done?
You'll know it's done when the skin is soft and the potato is easy to pierce all the way through with a knife.
More sweet potato recipes
- Brown Butter Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Mousse
- Chorizo Sweet Potato Soup
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Pudding
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
How to Microwave a Sweet Potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 tbsp butter more or less
- salt and pepper
- Run potato under water, then use a potato scrubber to scrub the potato, removing any dirt on the skin. Pat it dry.
- Use a fork to poke several holes into the potato, piercing the skin.
- Place potato on a microwave-safe plate, then microwave it for 5 minutes, or until the skin is soft and it's easy to pierce with a knife. If your sweet potato is on the larger side, continue microwaving it in 1 minute intervals until it's cooked.
- Wait 1-2 minutes, then use a knife to slice the potato down the center. Add your toppings and enjoy!