These Brown Butter Sweet Potatoes are loaded with flavor and a delicious side dish. They’re made with olive oil, garlic, oregano, and of course, brown butter, and ready in a little over 30 minutes. Plus, learn how to make brown butter perfect every single time!
And my sweet potato obsession continues! These brown butter sweet potatoes are perfect for the holidays, or anytime really. If you haven’t hopped on the brown butter train yet, what’s stopping you?!
Typically, I roasted sweet potatoes in a skillet because it’s faster, but oven-roasted sweet potatoes are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and loaded with garlic and brown butter flavor (the two best flavors!).
WHY YOU NEED THESE BROWN BUTTER SWEET POTATOES
- This recipe uses olive oil to roast the sweet potatoes (like most roasted potato recipes), but then brown butter gets added to them to add TONS of delicious flavor
- Besides brown butter, the potatoes are flavored with GARLIC (is there anything better?)
HOW TO BROWN BUTTER
Browning butter is both an art and super easy at the same time. I’ve included step-by-step photos below, but here’s what you need to do:
Place butter in a lighter-colored saucepan. That way, you can see the butter change colors.
Once the butter is heated, it will start to bubble–that’s a good thing! You may need to stir it once or twice so that it doesn’t bubble over.
After the butter is done bubbling, it will quickly change to a golden brown color. Be sure to keep your eyes on the butter because it can easily turn from perfect golden-brown to burnt butter in a matter of seconds. One the butter is golden-brown, pour it into a bowl, allowing it to cool a bit.
HOW TO STORE ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
Honestly, these potatoes taste best when they’re fresh, so I recommend making them before you want to serve them. If you do have leftovers, it’s most likely that the butter will harden in the refrigerator, so if you want to reheat them you’ll have to microwave them so the butter melts.
OTHER DELICIOUS SIDE DISH RECIPES
Brown Butter Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes* diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt, or more
for the brown butter:
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Dice sweet potatoes into 1" pieces and place them in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, oregano, pepper, and salt, then pour mixture over the sweet potatoes and stir to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with foil OR spray with nonstick spray and pour potatoes onto baking sheet. Bake potatoes for 25-30 minutes, or until soft.
- While potatoes are roasting, make the brown butter: Place butter into a small saucepan and heat over medium-low. The butter will melt, and within a few minutes, it will start to bubble. After it's done bubbling, it will quickly change to a golden-brown color, which is when you know the butter is done. If you leave it on too long, it will burn, so make sure to keep your eyes on it!
- Pour brown butter over the roasted potatoes and enjoy!