This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This one-dish Baked Mediterranean Cod is the ultimate weeknight dinner. Surrounded by fresh Mediterranean vegetables and seasoned with herbs, lemon juice, and olive oil, every bite is so succulent and vibrant!
I don’t believe there’s a more flavorful, easy, or delicious meal than this Baked Mediterranean Cod recipe. Surrounded with lemon, herbs, and classic Mediterranean vegetables, this rich and flakey fish bakes to tender perfection in just 20 minutes. The only way it can get better is if you serve the fish next to a Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl and Feta Harissa Roasted Carrots!
There’s no marinating, deboning, or much prep involved in this recipe. Instead of baking the fish on a sheet pan with vegetables, I added it to a baking dish and poured a flavorful mix of oil, herbs, lemon juice, and garlic on top. In each bite, you’ll end up with juicy tomatoes, bright flavors, and of course, flaky and tender white fish.
- Each bite has fresh, bold, and vibrant Mediterranean flavors.
- A healthy and light weeknight meal.
- A one-dish recipe that’s ready to eat in just 20 minutes!
- Cod fillets - Fresh or frozen fillets can be used. If using frozen fish, thaw the fillets in a bowl of cold water first.
- Lemon juice - Fresh is best but you’re welcome to use bottled if that’s what you already have at home.
- Olive oil - To season the fish and tenderize it as it bakes.
- Mediterranean veggies - Grape tomatoes, black olives, red onion, and fresh garlic surround the fish as it bakes. The veggies release their flavors and juices, adding to the overall deliciousness of this recipe.
- Dried herbs - Use a combination of oregano, basil, and thyme. You can swap this with a pre-mixed Italian seasoning to make the process a little easier.
Step 1: Season the cod. Place the fillets in a baking dish and drizzle some olive oil and lemon juice over top. Finish each fillet with salt and pepper.
Step 2: Dress the veggies. Add the tomatoes, olives, red onion, garlic, salt, oregano, basil, and thyme to a large bowl. Pour oil and lemon juice over top, and mix everything together.
Step 3: Add the veggies to the fish. Pour the veggie mixture over top of the cod. Move them so the vegetables are near the edges of the dish.
Step 4: Bake and enjoy. Bake the fish until it’s flakey and the veggies are soft. Serve each fillet with a scoop of the vegetables and Mediterranean side dishes, and enjoy!
Expert tips and FAQs
- If you don’t have cod at home, you can use any white fish you like. Halibut, snapper, sea bass, and haddock are all great choices.
- Are you using skin-on fillets? Make sure to bake them skin-side down in the baking dish.
- Top the fish with more fresh toppings, like capers, parsley, or green olives.
What temperature should cod be cooked at in the oven?
Cook the cod fillets at 425°F. You’ll know they’re done cooking when they look opaque, flake easily with a fork, and reach an internal temperature of 145ºF. You can measure the temperature using a meat thermometer.
Should the cod be covered or uncovered in the oven?
Covering the baking dish with foil is a great method when you want your fish to bake evenly and keep it from sticking to the dish. However, because the fish and vegetables are dressed in olive oil, it isn’t necessary for this recipe.
Why is my baked cod chewy?
This usually means the fish is overbaked! Pay close attention to the cooking time as the cod is baking. You’ll know it’s ready when it flakes easily and reaches an internal temperature of 145ºF.
What can I serve with Mediterranean baked fish?
This is a light and healthy weeknight dinner option that pairs well with classic Mediterranean flavors. I recommend serving the fillets and veggies next to a big green salad, couscous, stuffed zucchini boats, potato wedges, whipped feta or hummus with pita bread, and tabbouleh.
More refreshing Mediterranean recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Baked Mediterranean Cod
- Preheat oven to 425°, then place the cod into a 9x13 baking dish. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice over the cod, then sprinkle each fillet with salt and pepper.
- Next, add the tomatoes, olives, red onion, garlic, salt, oregano, thyme, and basil to a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the bowl then stir to combine. Pour the mixture overtop of the cod, using a spoon to move the veggies to the edges of the casserole dish.
- Bake the cod for 18-20 minutes, or until the fish is flakey and the veggies are soft. Enjoy!