Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These jumbo Brownie Cupcakes taste like brownies but look like cupcakes and are topped with a HEALTHY four ingredient pistachio icing. Perfectly salty and sweet!
Oh my my my have I got a treat for you! Brownie CUPCAKES, holla!
Growing up, brownies were always my brothers “thing”, while my thing was more cookies and ice cream. I still can’t say brownies are my dessert of choice—I’m more of a cake/cinnamon roll/scones/cupcakes kinda gal—but every once in awhile I crave a good brownie. Something I am obsessed with though? Pistachios! I actually had a mini vegan cake with pistachio icing at a local coffee shop/bakery and that’s where the inspiration for this recipe came about. Now, these are not vegan because regular brownies are challenging enough for this cookie-challenged baker, but they are pretty darn good and the pistachio icing IS vegan, so feel free to make it again and again.
I attempted these a few times before I got ‘em right, but when they’re right they’re right and the texture is spot on. Super soft brownies that are crinkly on top and really, really tasty warmed up with a scoop of ice cream (as all brownies are). Oh, and you can’t really tell, but these are actually JUMBO brownie cupcakes made with my jumbo 6-cup muffin pan. Woo! If you don’t have one don’t worry—you can use a regular size 12-cup pan for this recipe as well.
As for the pistachio icing, it requires just four ingredients: pistachios, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. I bet you already have those ingredients on hand! The icing is the perfect compliment to these brownies because it’s both salty (thanks pistachios) and sweet (thanks powdered sugar) and, not surprisingly, pairs nicely with CHOCOLATE.
Though I called these brownie cupcakes, the texture is much more brownie and much less cupcake. I called them cupcakes because they’re made in a cupcake tin, but other than that, they’re basically just brownies. I mean, really delicious brownies, but brownies nonetheless.
It’s the middle of the week and I say TREAT YOURSELF, or at least make the pistachio icing. Seriously, you need it.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 oz. chocolate dark or semi sweet
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- For the icing:
- 1/2 cup pistachios no shell
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter and chocolate together either in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds, or over the stovetop on low-medium heat.
- Once melted, stir in the sugar with a wooden spoon and then add the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa and salt.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a spatula, making sure everything is well combined but don't over-mix it!
- Grease a 6-cup muffin tin OR a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil and then distribute batter evenly. If you're using a 12-cup tin, you may have some batter left over--you'll just use the rest when the first batch is done baking OR you can use a second muffin tin if you have one.
- Place tin in the oven and bake brownies for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. It's ok to have a few crumbs--that means the brownies are moist on the inside.
- Remove from oven and wait 10 minutes before carefully removing from tin.
- For the icing: Crush pistachios up in a blender or food processor; add water and blend again until a pistachio paste forms.
- Next, add 2 tbsp of the pistachio paste to a bowl; add butter and vanilla and stir with an electric mixer.
- Last, add the powdered sugar and stir until a thick icing has formed.
- Once brownies have cooled, ice them and enjoy!