This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This Mediterranean Hummus Bowl uses brown rice as a base and is filled with tomatoes, feta and roasted chickpeas for a tasty vegetarian lunch or dinner. It can be prepped ahead of time and the whole dish comes together in just 30 minutes!
You totally saw this coming, right? First, I shared my favorite hummus recipe, so the obvious next thing to do is to share creative ways to enjoy hummus, like this mediterranean hummus bowl recipe.
Why you'll love this
- It's a quick plant-based lunch filled with vegetables and crispy roasted chickpeas for protein
- It's topped with both hummus and feta cheese (optional) for tons of flavor
- You can make it ahead of time, and it's delicious for lunch or dinner
What you'll need
Grain - I opted to use short grain brown rice as a base for this recipe. Why? Because rice is FILLING and provides plenty of fiber. Plus, it pairs nicely will the other ingredients in this bowl. Substitutions: farro, quinoa or white rice.
Vegetables - Not surprisingly, I chose mediterranean vegetables, like tomatoes, onion and cucumber.
Add-ins - In this case, the add-ins are the feta cheese, roasted chickpeas and the hummus, so basically the best parts.
Step 1: Roast the chickpeas. This step takes the longest, so you'll want to do it first. You can follow this tutorial (link) for roasting chickpeas, only these chickpeas are coated in garlic herb seasoning instead of smoked paprika.
Step 2: Make the rice. I'd say just cook the rice however you normally do. For me, that's over the stovetop.
Step 3: Combine everything. Add rice to the bottom of a bowl (or 2 bowls), then top it with the cucumbers, tomato, onion, feta cheese, roasted chickpeas, and hummus.
FAQs and Expert Tips
- Have the hummus already made: If you have to make this bowl and make the hummus, it might seem a little overwhelming and/or time consuming. If you make the hummus ahead of time, you’ll be able to essentially skip this step when prepping this hummus bowl. Homemade hummus should keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator, so keep that in mind.
- Start by roasting the chickpeas: Before you do anything else, roast the chickpeas. This step will take the longest, but it’s also pretty hands-off, so once the chickpeas are in the oven you can start prepping the rest of the bowl. Whatever you do, don’t leave them out! They provide an awesome crunch and add protein to this bowl.
Can I make this in advance?
Absolutely! Simply prep the rice and vegetables and place them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Then, make the roasted chickpeas before you're ready to eat. You make the chickpeas in advance, but they won't stay as crispy.
Can I use store-bought hummus?
Yes of course! Personally, I love store-bought hummus because it makes throwing this bowl together even faster!
More Mediterranean recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Mediterranean Hummus Bowl
- Start by roasting the chickpeas: preheat oven to 425°. Press as much liquid out of the chickpeas as you can (I use a few paper towels to do this), then pour chickpeas onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle garlic herb seasoning over the chickpeas, then roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- Once the rice is cooked, top it with the tomatoes, onion, cucumber, feta, and the roasted chickpeas. Last, add a scoop or two of hummus.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in May 2019. It was updated with new text and photos in May 2020.