Learn how simple it is to make your own Avocado Oil Mayonnaise in just 8 minutes with only 5 ingredients. It's made with egg, vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, and avocado oil, and it's Paleo+Whole30, too!
Truthfully, we're pretty big mayo fans in our household, which is why I figured it's about time that I start making my own! If you feel the same, I pinky promise you'll love this avocado oil mayonnaise recipe.
- It's quick and ready in under 8 minutes
- The recipe calls for only 5 ingredients
- It pairs perfectly with chicken salad or tuna pasta salad
What you'll need
- Egg - You only need 1, but an egg is an absolute MUST for this recipe
- Vinegar - White distilled vinegar
- Lemon juice - Use fresh lemon juice only
- Dijon mustard - A little bit goes a long way. Can sub regular mustard, though it will alter the flavor a bit.
- Avocado oil - This recipe has only been tested with avocado oil, but if you NEED a substitution, regular olive oil (not extra virgin) should work
Step 1: Add eggs to your food processor and pulse for 20 seconds.
Step 2: Add vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and salt to your food processor and pulse for 20 more seconds.
Step 3: With the food processor still running, add avocado oil in through the time A LITTLE AT A TIME. <<This is key!
What I recommend doing: Pour avocado oil into a glass measuring cup. Then, use a ½ teaspoon measuring spoon to spoon the oil into the food processor. Do this for 2 full minutes. Then, slowly pour the oil in through in a very fine stream. Once almost all of the oil has been poured, you should notice the mixture begin to thicken into mayonnaise.
FAQs and Tips
Do I have to use avocado oil?
Technically no, because mayo can be made with other oils. However, I only tested this recipe with avocado oil. If you are looking for a substitution, try regular olive oil (not extra virgin).
How long will this last?
This mayo should keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator
Can I freeze mayo?
I wouldn't recommend it.
Does this fit my dietary needs?
This mayo recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Paleo, and Whole30-friendly.
Recipes to make with homemade mayonnaise
- Whole30 Chicken Salad
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- Pan-Seared Salmon Burgers
- Chipotle Deviled Eggs
- Spicy Lamb Meatballs
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Avocado Oil Mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup avocado oil
- Add egg to your food processor and pulse for 20 seconds.
- Add vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, and salt to your food processor and pulse for 20 seconds.
- Pour avocado oil into a glass measuring cup. Then, with the food processor running, use a ½ teaspoon measuring spoon to spoon the oil through the top of the food processor. Do this for 2 full minutes. Then, slowly pour the oil in through the top in a very fine stream. This is important! The key is slow and steady with this, so make sure to add the oil in small drops at first, then once you speed it up and are actually pouring, make sure to still pour slowly.
- At this point, the mixture should resemble mayo! It might take until the very end to finally change textures, so be patient.
- Store mayo in a jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.