Healthy and delicious Salmon Burgers are pan-seared, meaning they're crispy on the outside and ready in under 20 minutes! They can easily be made gluten free, and they make for a delicious lunch or dinner recipe.
- A different way to eat salmon (other than my favorite fajitas or honey soy salmon)
- Quick + healthy and delicious on its own, on top of salad or on a burger bun
- Even better when paired with garlic aioli
This is just to provide further clarification; a full ingredient list is provided below in the recipe card.
Salmon - thawed and skins removed
Breadcrumbs - preferably Panko, regular or gluten free
Step 1: Mix ingredients. Add the garlic and salmon to your food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until salmon isn't chunky anymore. Then, scoop them out into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
Step 2: Form burgers. Use your hands to form the mixture into burgers. The recipe should make about 5 burgers, though it could be anywhere from 4-6 depending on what size you want them to be.
Step 3: Pan fry burgers. Head oil in a large skillet, then add the burgers and cook them for 3-4 minutes per side, or until browned and crispy on the outside.
FAQs and tips
What condiment should I use?
The garlic aioli listed below in the recipe card is a delicious thing to pair with these burgers! Somehow adding garlic and olive oil to mayo makes it a lot tastier.
Can these be made gluten free?
Yup! Just make sure to use gluten free breadcrumbs, preferably Panko if you can find them.
Can I freeze these burgers?
You have two options for freezing salmon burgers: 1) Form the salmon into burgers, but don't cook them; or 2) Cook them, then wait for them to cool before freezing. To freeze, simply wrap each burger individually in plastic wrap, then store in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What to serve with salmon burgers
More burger recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Pan-Seared Salmon Burgers
- 4 salmon fillets skins removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs gluten free
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese freshly grated
for the aioli:
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- Place garlic in a food processor in pulse; then, add the salmon to combine and pour ground up salmon into a large bowl.
- Add garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, and cheese and stir to combine.
- Use your hands to form mixture into burgers, placing them on a plate.
- Then, heat a large skillet (I used my cast iron) over medium high heat with olive oil--at least 3 tbsp--and wait a minute or so before adding in the burgers. You may need to do this in two rounds depending on how many burgers fit in your skillet. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook burgers for 3-4 minutes per side.
- For the aioli: Place mayo in a bowl and set aside; then, heat olive oil in a skillet and add the garlic. Cook garlic until it turns slightly golden, then pour garlic and olive oil into the bowl with the mayo; stir to combine.
- Assemble burgers the way you would a normal burger with plenty of garlic aioli.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in April 2018. It was updated with new text and photos in August 2020.