Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
A healthy Grapefruit Smoothie made with grapefruit, strawberries and rolled oats for an easy on-the-go breakfast option. It's vegan+gluten free and ready in only 5 minutes!
- Tons of fruit. Not only does this smoothie include grapefruit, but banana and strawberries as well.
- Protein-rich. The cashews add protein to this smoothie, and if you want even more protein, I recommend adding a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
- Vegan-friendly. You can use whatever dairy free milk you like to keep this smoothie vegan.
Grapefruit - I like use to a knife to slice off the peel because it makes it a little less messy
Strawberries - Fresh or frozen. Frozen will make the smoothie thicker, so if you prefer a thicker consistency, opt for frozen.
Oats - Rolled or old fashioned. Make sure to use certified gluten free oats if you want to keep this recipe gluten free.
Syrup - The syrup is optional. I think the smoothie is sweet enough on its own, but if you want it to be a tad sweeter, simply add 1-2 tbsp maple syrup.
Mint - I want to say the mint is optional, but it's not! It takes this smoothie to a whole new level, so I highly recommend including it.
Milk - Any kind works! I used almond, but use whatever you have in your refrigerator.
As with most smoothies, the instructions are pretty simple! Add all ingredients to a blender, then blend for 1 minute.
If you use frozen strawberries, you'll be good to go. If you use refrigerated strawberries, I recommend adding 3-5 ice cubes.
Tips and tricks
Soaking the cashews is optional. Almost every time I blend cashews (like in this cheesecake), I recommend soaking them beforehand so they blend more easily. However, you don't have to soak them for this smoothie! Simply blend the smoothie for at least 1 full minute and the consistency will be smooth.
Use a high power blender. If you've been debating whether to spend the money on a "nice" blender, I'm just going to say: do it!! I waited far too long to do this, and instead would go through multiple cheaper blenders. My two favorite blenders are the KitchenAid and the Hurom blender.
More smoothie recipes you'll love
- Raspberry Orange Smoothie
- Easy Kale Smoothie
- Raspberry Pistachio Smoothie
- Strawberry Blueberry Smoothie
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Grapefruit Smoothie Bowl
- 1/2 grapefruit peeled
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 mint leaves
- 4 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup optional
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder optional
- Place smoothie ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste test and decide if you want to add the maple syrup or if you like it as-is. Enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in August 2015. It was updated with new text and photos in June 2020.