This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
Juicy Air Fryer Turkey Burgers are easy to make from scratch in under 30 minutes! Lightly seasoned, yet packed with flavor, they’re a healthy and foolproof make-ahead meal or weeknight dinner.
I’m a big fan of turkey, but it gets a bad rep for being dry or bland compared to other proteins. Not here, though! These homemade turkey burgers are enhanced with complimentary spices and herbs which allow their naturally lean poultry flavor to shine.
Best of all, making Air Fryer Turkey Burgers means dinner will be ready in a flash. The air fryer is a magical kitchen tool that leaves you with crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside burgers in about 15 minutes. It’s a foolproof cooking method that prevents you from settling for dried-out and charred burgers!
Other than the fact that this homemade turkey burger recipe features an unconventional protein (just like my bison burgers, lamb burgers, and salmon burgers), I love how they can be made well in advance. Eat them straight from the air fryer or form and freeze the patties for later; it’s a fantastic make-ahead meal and a wonderful choice for meal prep.
- They’re easy to make with minimal ingredients and are lightly seasoned with simple herbs and spices.
- Cooking fresh or frozen turkey burgers in the air fryer creates a lightly golden brown crust around the surface and melt-in-your-mouth meat in the middle.
- From a nutritional standpoint, ground beef and ground turkey contain a similar amount of protein, fat, and nutrients. However, turkey is generally lower in saturated fat, giving this recipe a slight healthy edge.
Ground turkey - For flavorful, juicy turkey burgers, choose 100% ground thigh meat or a mix of dark and light meat. You can also use all-white meat ground turkey, but your burgers may not be as tasty and tender.
Fresh parsley - Using fresh herbs in homemade burgers adds depth of flavor. Feel free to experiment with other fresh herbs, like rosemary, thyme, sage, and tarragon.
Breadcrumbs - To help bind the patties together and prevent them from falling apart. Gluten free breadcrumbs work, too.
Mayonnaise - Mayo also binds the ground meat mixture together, as well as adding flavor and moisture. Use 1 egg as a substitute for the mayo if you want.
Soy sauce - To give the burgers a mouthwatering meaty, umami-forward flavor. Use tamari or coconut aminos if you’re gluten free.
Dry spices - Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper work together to lightly season the burgers. There are even more seasoning ideas for you in the FAQs section.
Step 1: Season and form the patties. Add the turkey, parsley, breadcrumbs, mayo, soy sauce, salt, and dry spices to a large bowl. Use your hands to gently mix the ingredients, then form the mixture into four burger patties.
Step 2: Air fry the turkey burgers. Place the patties in a single layer in an air fryer basket. Cook until they’re juicy, slightly golden around the outside, and their internal temperature is 165°F.
Step 4: Serve. Serve the burgers on buns or lettuce wraps with your favorite toppings and sides, then enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- Don’t overwork the ground meat! Only mix the burger ingredients until they just come together. Overmixing will leave you with tough and dry turkey burgers.
- To prevent the burgers from shrinking, use your thumb to make a divot in the middle of each patty.
- Worried about them falling apart? Once assembled, place the patties in the fridge for 30 minutes. The cold temperature will help them firm up and stick together.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. If you cook too many burgers at once, they’ll stick to each other and won’t cook evenly. It’s better to cook the burgers in batches.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure the turkey burgers are cooked through and have an internal temperature of 165°F before serving.
What else can I use to season these burgers?
I love how simple seasonings play such a big role in these burgers, but you’re more than welcome to play around with what you like. Italian, Greek, Cajun, Blackened, Jerk, and even dry ranch seasoning blends will all taste delicious in turkey burgers!
It’s easy to tell if your burgers are seasoned to perfection as well. All you need to do is saute a spoonful of the seasoned ground turkey mixture, give it a taste, and then adjust the seasonings as needed before forming the patties.
Even aromatics and chopped veggies will enhance these burgers. Try swapping the garlic powder and onion powder with minced and sautéed garlic and onion, or chopped mushrooms and bell peppers. Mixing grated zucchini, carrots, or sweet potato into the ground meat is also a great way to sneak in some veggies and moisture.
What toppings are good on turkey burgers?
Anything goes here! But if you need a few suggestions, these should help you get started:
- Cheese: Try sharp white cheddar, gouda, havarti, swiss, provolone, or American. To melt the cheese, place it on top of the patties during the last 1 to 2 minutes in the air fryer.
- Veggie toppings: Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions, sliced avocado, jalapenos, arugula, or pickled onions.
- Condiments and sauces: Mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, pico de gallo, chipotle aioli, BBQ sauce, tomato relish, and so on.
What goes well with turkey burgers?
Refrigerator: Store the leftover turkey burgers in a shallow, airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
Freezer: The cooked and cooled burgers freeze well for up to 6 months.
You can also shape the uncooked burger patties and store them in the freezer for 3 to 4 months. Remember to keep a piece of parchment paper in between each one so they don’t clump together. They can be cooked right from frozen for about 20 minutes.
Reheating: To reheat leftover turkey burgers, place them in the air fryer for 4 to 5 minutes at 360˚F. If frozen, place the patties in the air fryer and reheat for 8 to 10 minutes at 360˚F.
More ground turkey recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Add the turkey, parsley, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, soy sauce, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to a large bowl. Use your hands to gently combine the ingredients, then form the mixture into 4 burgers.
- Preheat your air fryer to 360°, then spray the basket with a little nonstick spray. Place the burgers into the air fryer and cook them for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Enjoy!