Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This skinny shrimp Alfredo bake uses dairy free milk instead of cream and less butter than other recipes. Bonus: it comes together in a little over 30 minutes!
Who doesn’t love shrimp Alfredo? I mean, honestly. So, I decided why not make a shrimp Alfredo bake?! Baked noodles and shrimp with garlic and cheese is the way to go, no matter what day of the week it is. The best part of this recipe is that it serves 4 people (at least), so you can feed your whole family or maybe have leftovers if you’re a party of two. It kind of reminds me of this bacon parmesan pasta, only healthier!
SHRIMP ALFREDO BAKE INGREDIENTS
Whole wheat pasta: it doesn’t have to be whole wheat, but whole wheat does make this recipe a bit healthier
Butter: I used a combination of butter and olive oil, which worked well. I don’t think it’ll work if you just use olive oil though.
Milk: Many shrimp Alfredo recipes call for heavy cream, but you can make delicious alfredo-like sauce by using dairy free milk (think: almond, soy, oat, etc.)
Parmesan: Parmesan cheese is the way to go, but asiago would also work well
Shrimp: Make sure you remove the tails, and if you buy pre-cooked shrimp then you won’t have to cook them for very long, which speeds this recipe up even more
WHAT MAKES THIS RECIPE HEALTHIER?
- Whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta
- Dairy free milk instead of heavy cream
- Slightly less cheese than other similar recipes
- Ability to add more tomato and/or spinach to the dish
HOW TO MAKE THIS SHRIMP ALFREDO BAKE
First, cook the pasta like you normally would. While the pasta is cooking, defrost the shrimp (if you haven’t already!).
Second, make the Alfredo sauce by melting the butter, along with the olive oil, in a large skillet, then adding the garlic, and then the cheese and simmer for 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. At this point, you can add the tomatoes and shrimp to the skillet and cook for an additional 3 minutes or so. Note: If you bought raw shrimp, you’ll have to cook the shrimp for longer.
Next, pour the cooked pasta into the skillet and stir until it’s coated in the sauce. Now you can place the skillet directly into the oven OR you can pour everything into a baking dish and bake the pasta until the cheese is melty (I sprinkled extra cheese on top).
OTHER PASTA RECIPES
Skinny Shrimp Alfredo Bake
- 1 lb. penne pasta preferably whole wheat
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 heirloom tomato diced
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 2 cups parmesan cheese shaved
- 1 lb. shrimp tailed removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, add the butter, olive oil and garlic to a large skillet for 2-3 minutes; then, slowly stir in the cheese. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer the sauce for 4-5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Next, add the shrimp and tomato to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes or so, or until the shrimp are cooked.
- Add the cooked pasta to the skillet and stir until the pasta is completely covered in the sauce. Transfer mixture into a baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley and enjoy!