A delicious egg-free, dairy free Vegan Cookie Dough recipe just for you! Made in one bowl and with just 6 ingredients, this will be your new go-to recipe when a sugar craving strikes.
Vegan cookie dough is becoming a staple in my diet, so I thought I'd share the recipe so you can enjoy it too! It's the perfect texture and ideal for those nights when you're craving cookies, but aren't feeling up for the task.
I know some people say eating raw cookie dough is "bad", but those people have clearly never tried vegan cookie dough. Personally, I don't think eating a bite or two of regular cookie dough will harm you, but you can rest assured knowing that this egg-free version will not only not get you sick, but it'll leave you feeling completely satisfied.
- Can use all purpose flour or oat flour to keep it gluten free
- Made with only 6 ingredients and ready in under 5 minutes
- Can customize the add-ins and use sprinkles, white chocolate chips or even chocolate + crushed pretzels
Vegan cookie dough ingredients
- Flour: For this recipe, you can use either all purpose flour, or oat flour to keep this gluten free-- both work great! The recipe card includes the option for all purpose flour in the ingredient list, and the oat flour option in the notes below.
- Sugar: Brown sugar and butter were made for each other, but if you don't want to use brown sugar, cane sugar works too! I would NOT use honey or maple syrup as they will alter the texture too much.
- Butter: Preferably unsalted dairy-free; if you can't find unsalted, use salted butter and omit the additional salt from the recipe.
- Milk: Any kind of dairy-free milk -- you only need one tablespoon
- Vanilla extract: No substitution
- Chocolate chips: Double check to make sure they're vegan-friendly
Did I mention this recipe is made in one bowl? Because it is, which makes it embarrassingly easy.
Step 1: Melt the butter. Add the butter to a bowl, then microwave it for 15-20 seconds. You want the butter to be mostly melted, but not completely. If it does melt completely, don't sweat it.
Step 2: Add the sugar. Pour sugar into that same bowl, then use a whisk to whisk the butter and sugar together for 10 seconds or so.
Step 3: Add remaining wet ingredients. Add the milk and vanilla to that bowl and again whisk everything together.
Step 4: Fold in the flour and chocolate. Pour the flour and salt in to the bowl, then use a rubber spatula or spoon to fold everything together until the batter is smooth. Last, stir in the chocolate chips.
Tips and FAQ's
*If you don't own a microwave, melt the butter over the stovetop, then transfer it to a bowl.
*If you want to make this gluten free but don't have oat flour, you can either make your own by blending rolled oats in a blender, or use gluten free 1:1 baking flour instead.
*Love chocolate peanut butter? Add 1 tablespoon peanut butter to the dough for the ultimate treat.
How do I know if chocolate chips are vegan?
The safest way to know is to buy chocolate chips that specifically state that they are allergy friendly, like Enjoy Life or Nestle now carries an allergen friendly brand of chocolate chips as well.
Can this be made with gluten free flour?
Yep! If you don't want to use all purpose flour, use 5 tablespoon of oat flour instead.
How should this be stored?
Store cookie dough in a bowl in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. It may harden a bit in the refrigerator, so pop it into the microwave for 5 seconds to soften it.
More vegan dessert recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Vegan Cookie Dough for One
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter dairy free
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk dairy free
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup all purpose flour or oat flour see notes for gluten free
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips dairy free
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 20 seconds; it's ok if it isn't completely melted. Add the sugar and whisk them together for 10 seconds or so. Then, add the milk and vanilla and stir to combine.
- To that same bowl, add the flour and salt and use a rubber spatula to fold the ingredients together. Last, stir in the chocolate chips.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in September 2015. It was updated with new text and photos in February 2021.