This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
Say hello to the easiest dinner recipe: Rotisserie Chicken Tacos! Simply buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, then dress it up with some seasonings and a simple cilantro-lime cabbage slaw for an tasty weeknight meal.
Oh how we adore rotisserie chicken, and what better way to use it than to make rotisserie chicken tacos?!
These tacos, along with my slow cooker chicken tacos are the easiest taco recipes on my site!
On weeks when my work schedule has me making more dessert recipes, I opt to buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store for easy lunches and meals. While eating the chicken by itself is delicious, these tacos are a simple way to elevate it. Plus, they'e easy to customize to your liking!
- Tacos made using pre-cooked rotisserie chicken
- Features a simple seasoning blend made with chicken broth, salsa and seasonings
- Tacos topped with a cabbage slaw for added zest, texture and flavor
Rotisserie chicken - Preferably plain rotisserie chicken from the store. Since we're seasoning thee chicken ourselves, you want to avoid buying chicken that's already pre-seasoned.
Salsa - Use your favorite kind! I recommend sticking with a fairly traditional salsa, like mild, medium or fire roasted.
Chipotle in adobo - For added flavor! I love using chipotle peppers in recipes (like in my favorite chipotle aioli), and it helps to add a kick to this sauce.
Seasonings - A mix of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt works well; can also use a pre-made taco seasoning mix if you prefer and/or have some in your pantry.
Corn tortillas - Corn or flour tortillas work in this recipe, but I opted for corn.
Cabbage - Use a head of cabbage or buy a bagged cabbage mix, which is what I did.
Cilantro - A must for any taco recipe in my opinion!
Yogurt - Yogurt helps to lighten up the slaw, but you can always substitute sour cream or mayonnaise if you prefer.
Honey - A little bit goes a long way and helps to balance the flavors of the slaw. Not a fan of honey? Use cane sugar instead.
Lime juice - Fresh lime juice is best! Don't use pre-squeezed lime juice here (trust me, it tastes different).
Step 1: Shred the chicken. Begin by removing the chicken from the bone and placing it into a large mixing bowl. Then, either use two forks or use a hand mixer to shred it.
Step 2: Make the sauce. Next, add the chicken broth, salsa, chipotle in adobo sauce, and tomato paste to a large skillet and whisk to combine. Then, sprinkle in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and stir, then simmer the sauce for 2-4 minutes until it thickens slightly. Add in the shredded chicken and toss until the chicken is coated.
Step 3: Make the slaw. Whisk the yogurt, lime juice, honey, cumin, and salt together in a medium bowl, then stir in the cabbage and cilantro.
Step 4: Assemble the tacos. Char the tortillas over a gas stove (or heat in a skillet), then add some of the chicken mixture and top with the cabbage slaw. Add any other taco toppings you'd like -- I used avocado, cilantro and yogurt -- and enjoy!
Tips and tricks
- Shred the chicken with a hand mixer. This is something I just recently started doing and let me tell you, it's a time-saver! Use an electric hand mixer and mix on low to shred the chicken. It's quicker and less messy than using two forks.
- Taco topping ideas: shredded cheddar cheese, cojita cheese, black beans, refried beans, shredded lettuce, guacamole, or my guacamole salsa are all great topping options
Where can I buy rotisserie chicken?
I think most grocery stores sell rotisserie chicken, but I usually buy mine from Whole Foods, Giant Eagle or Costco.
Can I use store-bought seasonings and/or salsa instead?
Yep! If you want this recipe to be even faster (no judgment!), you can use two small jars of your favorite salsa and call it a day. You can also use a pre-made taco seasoning mix if you don't want to make your own.
Refrigerator: Store leftover marinated chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Make ahead: Want to prep these ahead of time? Make the slaw and store it in the fridge up to 2 days in advance, and cook the chicken and store it in the fridge a day ahead of time. That way, everything is ready to go!
More easy taco recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
for the chicken:
for the tacos:
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- Start by making the slaw: whisk the yogurt, lime juice, honey, cumin, and salt together, then stir in the cabbage and cilantro; set aside.
- Next, remove the chicken from the bone and place it in a large bowl, then use two forks or an electric mixer to shred the chicken.
- To a large skillet, add the chicken broth, salsa, tomato paste, chipotle sauce, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and whisk to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-low heat and simmer for 2-4 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens a bit, then fold in the shredded chicken.
- Assemble the tacos: char the taco shells over a gas stove (or heat in a skillet), then add the shredded chicken and top it with a spoonful of the cabbage slaw and some avocado, along with any other taco toppings you'd like. Enjoy!