A moist and delicious Vegan Coconut Cake that’s made with coconut milk, coconut oil and shredded coconut. If you’re a coconut lover, you’ll love this recipe.
**This post originally appeared in 2016 and has since been updated with new photos. It’s still the same great recipe, though!
BOLD STATEMENT: this vegan coconut cake may be my favorite recipe of the past several months. I know that’s a crazy thing to say, but it’s true. Consequently, this cake was 100 percent inspired by my Triple Coconut Bread recipe, a recipe that Miguel and I devoured in 24 hours. Though I love bread, sometimes you just need cake. I’ve always been a fan of coconut. Take these cupcakes, for instance. They’re perfectly coconut-y and topped with blood orange icing! So good, friends.
Before I talk about the cake itself, I want to talk about Nuts.com. Have you heard of it? If so, then you probably already know how amazing it is. It’s a family-owned online shop that sells high-quality nuts, cooking and baking products, dried fruits, and other pantry essentials, with many of them being organic (woohoo!).
Not only does Nuts.com have delicious products, but they have cleve marketing too. I mean, just LOOK at the packaging!
Ok, so WHY is this vegan coconut cake my favorite, you ask? Well let me tell you.
HEALTHY COCONUT CAKE
- It’s made with whole wheat flour
- It’s perfectly moist and vegan-friendly
- It uses three kinds of coconut: coconut milk, coconut oil and shredded coconut
- It’s topped with the BEST coconut oil icing
Most importantly, it’s made with easy-to-find ingredients, many of which can be found on Nuts.com. Additionally, I tested several different icing options, but the coconut oil and powdered sugar icing ended up being my favorite. I tried a variety with coconut cream and another with coconut milk, but they didn’t compare.
DAIRY FREE COCONUT OIL FROSTING
- coconut oil
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
Tip: Plan on making the icing the same day you’re going to serve the cake. Since the icing is made with coconut oil, it will harden when it’s placed in the refrigerator (still tastes delicious though!). Of course you can make the cake in advance, just wait to make the icing so that the texture is smooth like buttercream icing.
Don’t forget the finishing touches! This cake can and should be topped with shredded coconut and maybe even fresh fruit. The result is a delicious, dairy free, super moist cake!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Nuts.com. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support The Almond Eater!
OTHER VEGAN CAKE RECIPESPrint
Vegan Coconut Cake
A delicious Vegan Coconut Cake that’s made with coconut milk, coconut oil and toasted coconut for loads of coconut-y flavor!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: cake
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (or sub all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cane sugar (or sub white sugar)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Extra shredded coconut oil for topping
- For the icing:
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease two 8″ cake pans with coconut oil and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and shredded coconut into a large bowl and set aside.
- Next, melt coconut oil in microwave or over stovetop; set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine milk, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring with an electric mixer before adding in the coconut oil; combine everything.
- Pour batter evenly into cake pans and bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, using a toothpick to test doneness.
- Leave cakes in the pans for 10 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack. Wait until cakes are completely cooled off before icing them.
- While the oven is still hot, place approximately 1 cup of shredded coconut onto a baking sheet and “toast” for 5 minutes or until coconut becomes somewhat golden in color; set aside.
- For the icing: melt coconut oil and then pour into a large bowl; stir in vanilla and powdered sugar with an electric mixer; the texture should be similar to buttercream icing (i.e. thick and creamy).
- Use a knife to remove the “dome” part of each cake and then ice the top of one cake before placing the second cake on top of it and icing that cake. Use icing to cover the entire cake and then top it with toasted shredded coconut.
Keywords: dessert, cake, coconut cake, vegan cake