This addicting and delicious Two-Ingredient Homemade Nutella is perfectly spreadable and ready in about six minutes! Spread it on toast, dip pretzel sticks in it or eat it by the spoonful—Nutella makes everything that much better.
*This post originally appeared in 2016 and has since been updated with new and improved photos. It’s still the same great recipe though!
Nutella. Homemade Nutella. Nutella that you can make in the comfort of your own home. Two ingredients. Ten minutes. THAT’S IT.
Slightly intrigued? Please say yes. I don’t know a single person who doesn’t like Nutella, and this Nutella is great for many reasons.
WHY THIS HEALTHY HOMEMADE NUTELLA IS SO GOOD
- You only need 2 (!!!) ingredients. You can’t say that about many recipes these days, but this one is only two ingredients.
- It’s vegan-friendly, as long as you buy dairy free chocolate.
- Your food processor is the only dish you’ll need, so minimal clean-up is required. Alternatively, you can use a Nutribullet, which might work even better than a food processor.
For this recipe, you need two ingredients: hazelnuts and chocolate.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE NUTELLA
First, place the hazelnuts in your food processor. Note: there are two kinds of hazelnuts you can purchase, raw and dry roasted. Personally, I think the dry roasted blend up more quickly, but it’s easier to find raw hazelnuts. So, if you have raw hazelnuts on hand, you’ll want to roast them in the oven for about 10 minutes before placing them in your food processor. I know for a fact that Trader Joe’s sells dry roasted hazelnuts if you want to go that route.
Next, blend the hazelnuts in your food processor. This step requires a bit of patience–if you’re using a Nutribullet, you should have nut butter within 5 minutes, but you’ll have to stop and scrape down the blender a few times. If you’re using a food processor, it’s probably going to take between 8-10 minutes, and the same thing applies–you’ll want to blend for 1-2 minutes and then stop to scrape down the sides. While the hazelnuts are blending, chop up the chocolate (unless you’re using chocolate chips, then leave them as-is).
Once the hazelnuts are all blended up into a delicious hazelnut butter, you’ll want to pour the hazelnut butter into a bowl and immediately stir in the chocolate. The hazelnut butter should be warm from blending for so long, so the chocolate should melt after about a minute of continuous stirring.
Finally, you’ll have Nutella, but it won’t be the consistency of Nutella. In order to get it to harden, I placed mine in a glass jar in the refrigerator for about two hours. Then, it should be much more like the consistency of store-bought Nutella, but it didn’t completely turn to 100% store bought Nutella consistency until I left the jar on the counter overnight.
Just like getting over a bad relationship, the only thing that’s going to make this Nutella absolutely perfect is time.
Regardless of texture, the flavor is pretty identical to store bought and it can easily be spread on toast, eaten with pretzels or eaten by the spoonful. Just be careful—like all Nutella, this homemade Nutella is hella addicting, so don’t say I didn’t warn you.
RECIPES TO EAT WITH HOMEMADE NUTELLA:
Homemade Nutella - Just 2 Ingredients
- 2 cups hazelnuts**
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Place hazelnuts into a high power blender or food processor and pulse for a total of approximately 4-5 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds or so to scrape down the sides.
- Once hazelnuts have formed hazelnut butter, pour into a bowl and stir in chocolate. Hazelnut butter should be warm from being blended for so long, so the chocolate should melt with consistent stirring.
- If chocolate does NOT melt, place mixture in a saucepan over the stove and stir until melted.
- Place Nutella in a jar and enjoy!