This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclaimer.
This addicting and delicious 2-Ingredient Homemade Nutella is perfectly spreadable and ready in under 15 minutes! Made with just raw hazelnuts and chocolate chips, this recipe is easy, healthy and vegan-friendly.
The only thing better than Nutella is homemade Nutella, mostly because it's significantly healthier!
See, store-bought Nutella contains all kind of funky (i.e. unhealthy) ingredients and additives, but not this recipe. Nope! This 2-ingredient homemade Nutella is made without oil, and can be made without sugar, too as long as you use sugar-free chocolate.
Slightly intrigued? Please say yes. I don't know a single person who doesn't like Nutella, and this recipe is one of my favorite desserts.
Why this recipe is the best
- You only need 2 ingredients! You can't say that about many recipes these days, but this one only requires hazelnuts and chocolate.
- It's vegan-friendly, as long as you use dairy-free chocolate, and can be sugar-free if you use sugar-free chocolate.
- A food processor and a baking sheet are the only dishes you'll need, so minimal clean-up is required.
For this recipe, you only need TWO ingredients:
- Hazelnuts - Raw hazelnuts are best if possible. We're going to roast them ourselves, so you don't want to use pre-roasted hazelnuts or else it might impact the flavor.
- Chocolate chips - Use dairy-free if you want this to be vegan, and sugar-free in order to make sugar-free Nutella. I personally prefer semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate over milk chocolate for this recipe. Alternatively, you could use chopped chocolate and that should work well too.
Step 1: Roast the hazelnuts. Start by placing the hazelnuts on a large baking sheet, then roasting them in the oven at 400° for 7-8 minutes. This will enhance the flavor and make them easier to blend.
Step 2: Blend baby, blend. Transfer the roasted hazelnuts from the baking sheet into your food processor, then blend them for about 2 minutes. Stop and scrape down the sides, then continue blending in 2 minute increments until you have creamy hazelnut butter.
Note: This step should take 6-8 minutes; if it takes longer, that probably means that your food processor isn't as high-quality as it should be. Don't worry! You can still make this recipe, you'll just have to be more patient and blend for longer.
Step 3: Gather the chocolate. While the hazelnuts are blending, place the chocolate chips into a large bowl.
Step 4: Make the Nutella. Scoop the hazelnut butter out of your food processor and into the bowl with the chocolate chips, then stir to combine. This should take about 1 minute or continuous stirring for the chocolate to melt and create a creamy chocolate hazelnut spread.
Do a taste test and add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it. Then, enjoy it as you normally would!
- Make sure to use a high-quality food processor! Don't have one? Try doubling the recipe and using a high powder blender instead.
- Want to make this sugar-free? Simply use sugar-free chocolate (either chocolate chips or chopped chocolate)
- If after stirring the chocolate chips and hazelnut butter together for one minute doesn't result in creamy Nutella, place the bowl in the microwave for 15 seconds and that should do the trick.
- Instead of using chocolate chips, you could also use melted chocolate and stir that together with the hazelnut butter -- either way works!
What kind of chocolate should I use?
I recommend semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate chips. Alternatively, you can use chopped chocolate if you prefer, and if you want to keep this vegan, be sure to use dairy-free chocolate.
Can I use a blender instead of a food processor?
Yes you can. However, I've tested it both ways and will stay that, as long as you're using a high-quality food processor, the food processor method does work better. It just does.
With that said, if you're going to use a blender, I either recommend using a Nutribullet and scraping down the sides every minute, or doubling the recipe and making it in a regular sized blender. The blender needs to be filled up more in order for it to blend properly, so doubling the recipe is necessary.
Making homemade nut butter requires a bit of patience, but I pinky promise that if you keep at it, you WILL have healthy homemade Nutella.
Do the hazelnuts have to be roasted?
Yes. I've made this recipe MANY times, so I can say that the hazelnuts will blend better if they're roasted and warm out of the oven. I used to skip this step, and it would take closer to 10-12 minutes to blend instead of 6-8, so I do think it's worth it and your food processor won't have to work as hard.
Ways to enjoy Nutella
The possibilities are endless, really, but here are some of my favorite ways:
- As a dip with your favorite fruit (think: strawberries or apple slices)
- Spread it on toast and enjoy it for breakfast or as a quick snack
- Added to your favorite smoothie recipes (like this chocolate cashew smoothie)
- Drizzled on top of my paleo waffles or flourless chickpea pancakes
- Added on top of your favorite ice cream
- Spread on top of a banana for a healthy sweet treat
Room temperature: Store homemade Nutella in a sealed jar at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. I DON'T recommend refrigerating it because it will alter the overall texture and consistency.
Other easy chocolate recipes
Did you Make this Recipe? Tag me Today! Leave a comment below and tag @thealmondeater on Instagram!
2-Ingredient Homemade Nutella
- Preheat your oven to 400° and place the hazelnuts on a large baking sheet. Once the oven is heated, place the hazelnuts in the oven and roast them for 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer the roasted hazelnuts to your food processor, then pulse for 2 minutes. Remove the lid, scrape down the sides, then pulse for 2 more minutes. Continue this process until you have creamy hazelnut butter. It should take 6-8 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate chips into a bowl.
- Once the hazelnuts are smooth and creamy, scrape the mixture into the bowl with the chocolate chips and stir continuously for 1 minute. The chocolate chips should melt and result in creamy, delicious Nutella! If they don't seem to be melting, place the bowl in the microwave for 15 seconds and that should do the trick. Enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in 2016. It was updated with new text and photos in February 2022.