These soft and chewy Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies are made with dairy free butter, flax eggs and plenty of walnuts and chocolate chunks.
Oh my gosh I don’t know what it is about this time of year, but I just can’t stop with the desserts! I also feel like I haven’t made cookies in for-e-ver, so these needed to happen.
Also I’m just eating my feelings this week since I don’t have to be in a bikini the whole week. …..see? I’m always turning negative situations into positive ones 🙂 Oh, and in case you missed my point, I’m currently sitting in the Starbucks by my apartment aka in Pittsburgh aka NOT in Puerto Rico. If you’ve been keeping up with the news, you probably heart that hurricane maria is headed straight for Puerto Rico, so for pretty obvious reasons, Miguel’s boss told him to sit this year out.
So like I said, the benefit of not going to the beach is not having to wear a bikini. Not that I typically stress out about that stuff, but I tend to eat a bit healthier the week before a vacation and while I’m on vacation, mostly so I can get away with drinking several piña coladas. But not this year. This year I’m just sitting at home devouring these cookies, which yes, I still have in my freezer for those nights when I NEED CHOCOLATE.
I tested this vegan chocolate chunk cookie recipe several times, mostly to see what egg replacement I liked the best. The verdict? I found flax eggs to be the closet thing to real eggs, and you can’t taste the flax at all. I also made a batch using applesauce and another one with milk, but the texture was off in both of them. So, flax eggs to the rescue! These cookies are both soft and chewy and even a little cake-y. I was trying to replicate the texture of my favorite chocolate chip cookies, and while these are pretty close, they’re not the same. ….but that’s not a bad thing! They’re their own kind of perfection in both taste and texture and I’ll happily be making them again and again.
The trick with these cookies is to slightly under-bake them (which I learned from Pinch of Yum) and to allow them to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving them so they have time to set. Trust me, they’re worth the wait. I also opted to add walnuts for an added crunch. Of course they’re optional but highly recommended! Enjoy, friends.Print
Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 12-15 1x
- 3/4 cup dairy free butter, melted
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed meal+5 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chunks
- Preheat 350°.
- First, make your flax eggs by combining flaxseed meal and water together; stir, then wait a few minutes, giving the flax time to absorb the water.
- Next, combine cane sugar and brown sugar in a bowl, and then pour melted butter over top. Whisk butter and sugar together for one minute consistently.
- Add your flax eggs and vanilla extract to the bowl and stir to combine; set bowl aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt, then stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Last, add walnuts and chocolate chunks.
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop dough onto a baking sheet; bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. You want the edges to be set but the centers to still be soft.
- Allow cookies to sit on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before carefully transferring them onto a cooling rack.