This Spicy Cod Sandwich will be your new go-to cod recipe! It’s made with flour, garlic and plenty of smoked paprika for plenty of flavor and a recipe that's ready in just 15 minutes.
It’s a quick-n-easy fish sandwich kind of day. Not just any fish sandwich though—a cod sandwich. YUM.
I feel like cod is a neglected fish—it’s certainly not as popular as salmon—but it’s typically more cost-effective and still full of nutrients. Plus the crispy outside and flakey inside is just so tasty.
This is simply to provide further clarification. The full ingredient list is provided below in the recipe card.
Cod - fresh or frozen
Flour - preferably all purpose or gluten free all purpose
Step 1: Thaw the fish. If you're using fresh fish, you can skip this step. If using frozen, be sure to follow the package instructions for how to properly thaw the cod.
Step 2: Combine the spices. On a large plate (or in a large bowl), stir the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, and salt together.
Step 3: Coat the fish. Pat the cod dry with a paper towel, then dip it into the spice mixture, making sure it's completely coated.
Step 4: Fry the fish. Add oil to a nonstick skillet, then fry the fish for 3 minutes per side until crispy on the outside and flakey on the inside.
FAQs and tips
- To test if the cod is done, cut a piece off as if you were going to eat it. If it cuts easily and flakes a bit, it's done. If it's a little tough to cut, it probably needs to cook for a couple more minutes.
How long will this stay fresh?
- Storage: fish will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat: place fish back into a skillet and fry for 1 minute per side or until warm all the way through.
What if I don't want this to be "spicy"?
Don't like spicy food? Simply half the amount of paprika and chipotle powder.
More delicious sandwich recipes
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Avocado Grilled Cheese
- Vegan Jackfruit Pulled Pork
- Mediterranean Grilled Cheese
Want more cod recipes? Check out this round up from The Spruce Eats.
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Spicy Cod Sandwich
For the cod:
- 6 cod fillets thawed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoon hot sauce of choice
- Make sure the cod has been rinsed and patted dry, then set it aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients onto a plate; stir. Dip each cod fillet into the flour mixture and then place it directly into a heated skillet with 2-3 tablespoon oil (I used olive oil).
- Place a lid on the skillet and fry the cod for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side.
- For the sauce: whisk yogurt and hot sauce together.
- Top each cod fillet with a bit of spicy sauce and enjoy!
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in July 2018. It was updated with new text and photos in August 2020.