This Spicy Cod Sandwich will be your new go-to recipe! It’s made with flour, garlic and plenty of smoked paprika for that kick of flavor.
It’s a quick-n-easy fish sandwich kind of day. Not just any fish sandwich though—a cod sandwich. YUM.
I feel like cod is a neglected fish—it’s certainly not as popular as salmon—but it’s typically more cost-effective and still full of nutrients. Plus the crispy outside and flakey inside is just so so tasty, dontcha think?
I’m also noticing a trend with recipes lately—I’m in this habit of adding “spiciness” to nearly everything. As in, give me ALL the smoked paprika and/or chipotle powder. So yeah, I’ve done it again, but this time with the fish coating AND with the “sauce” on top.
How many times per week do you eat fish or seafood in general? I’ve been making a conscious effort recently to swap out one night per week to eat tofu or another kind of vegan meat substitute, and then two days per week we usually eat seafood, typically either salmon, shrimp or cod. For me, it’s simply a matter of variety but also because for so many years, I feel like I forgot about seafood, which almost makes no sense, but we didn’t used to eat it nearly as often as we do now.
But, now that we do eat seafood more frequently, I try to switch up the recipe I follow. My most salmon recipes—ones that I make on a regular basis—are probably this one and this one, so I figured it was about time I create a go-to cod recipe, and this spicy cod is just that.
As for the sauce, it’s simply yogurt and hot sauce. <—yes, really. Simple is best!
Spicy Cod Sandwich
For the cod:
- 6 cod fillets
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch black pepper
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp hot sauce of choice
- Make sure the cod has been rinsed, then set it aside.
- Combine the remaining ingredients onto a plate; stir. Dip each cod fillet into the flour mixture and then place it directly into a heated skillet with 2-3 tbsp oil (I used olive oil).
- Place a lid on the skillet and fry the cod for approximately 2-3 minutes on each side.
- For the sauce: whisk yogurt and hot sauce together.
- Top each cod fillet with a bit of spicy sauce and enjoy!