Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This zesty homemade Spicy Avocado Dressing takes the natural creaminess of avocado and blends it with lime, jalapeños, cashews, and garlic. Naturally gluten and dairy-free, you can use it on salads, as a dip, or for a finishing touch on all of your favorite Mexican dishes.
As much as I like store-bought salad dressings for the convenience factor, nothing beats a fresh homemade salad dressing.
This Spicy Avocado Dressing is zesty, creamy and SO good. Avocados and cashews are blended along with garlic, lime, cilantro, and jalapeño to bring bold flavors to almost any dish! It’s perfect for all of your favorite summer salads, burrito bowls, and tacos.
- It’s completely vegan and gluten-free.
- Drizzle it onto salads, use it as a dip, or as a creamy dressing on tacos!
- It stays fresh in the fridge for a whole week.
- Avocado - This is where the dressing gets its signature green color and healthy fats.
- Cashews - Blended cashews thicken the dressing and give it an extra creamy texture. Use raw cashews, not salted.
- Jalapeño - Remove the seeds and veins to help it taste less spicy or keep them intact if you love spicy food. Completely omit the jalapeño if you don’t want any spice at all.
- Lime juice - For acidity and a pop of fresh flavor.
- Garlic - To help it taste extra bold and savory.
- Cilantro - Feel free to omit this if you’re not a cilantro fan.
Step 1: Soak the cashews. Either soak the cashews for at least 4 hours or pour boiling water over top to soften them within 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: Prepare the ingredients. While you wait on the cashews, peel the avocado and chop the garlic and jalapeño into smaller pieces. This helps the food processor or blender blend everything together properly.
Step 3: Blend the dressing. Add all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor. Pulse a few times to break up the ingredients, then blend until smooth.
Tips and FAQs
- If the dressing is too thin, blend in 1 tablespoon of water or olive oil at a time until the desired consistency is reached.
- If it’s too thin, add more avocado or soaked cashews to help it thicken up. Keep in mind that it will thicken as it sits in the fridge.
- It’s important to make this in a high-speed blender or food processor. If you don’t, the cashews won’t break down properly and you could end up with a chunky dressing.
How do I use avocado dressing?
It isn’t just a salad dressing! The layers of spicy and creamy flavors pair well with almost anything. Here’s how I love to use it:
- As a dip: For french fries, zucchini fritters, crackers, and chips.
- Salad dressing: Thin it out a little to drizzle over green salads, pasta salad, taco salads, grain bowls, burrito bowls, and bean salads.
- With meat: It’s especially delicious brushed over grilled chicken, salmon, or shrimp.
- On tacos: The dressing adds a spicy touch to walnut, salmon, and chipotle chicken tacos.
- With vegetables: Add some bold flavors to your roasted or grilled veggies, air fried potatoes, and stuffed peppers.
Is homemade avocado dressing healthy?
Making salad dressing with avocado and cashews fills it with lots of vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, fiber, and plant-based protein. Plus, it’s made without any added sugar, grains, or dairy which is always a bonus!
- Refrigerator: Store the dressing for up to 1 week in the fridge in a jar with a lid. It may thicken in the fridge, so feel free to mix in a little oil or water to thin it out before serving.
More homemade salad dressings
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Spicy Avocado Dressing
- 1/4 cup raw cashews soaked
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoon jalapeño pepper diced
- 1 avocado
- 3 tablespoon lime juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- If you haven't already soaked the cashews, you can boil them instead: bring a pot of water to a boil, then add the cashews and boil them for 15 minutes, which will soften them. Drain and rinse them under cool water.
- Add all of the ingredients to a small blender or food processor and pulse until smooth, adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time as needed. Enjoy!