This Vegan Burrito Bowl is the homemade version of your favorite Chipotle bowl. It's made with brown rice then topped with sautéed vegetables, beans and avocado for a healthy and delicious veggie-forward meal that's ready in just 30 minutes!
Who doesn't love a burrito bowl? This vegan burrito bowl is JUST like the vegan-friendly bowl from Chipotle. As much as I love their burritos, the burrito bowls are much more my style because they're incredibly filling, a bit healthier and less messy, too.
The best part is that making your own burrito bowl at home is surprisingly simple, and the toppings are easy to customize.
Why you need this vegan burrito bowl
- Think of this as the homemade version of your favorite Chipotle burrito bowl
- The toppings are easy to customize based on what ingredients you want and/or have on hand
- It's easy to meal prep, and can be enjoyed for lunch and/or dinner
What you'll need
- Rice: brown or cilantro lime
- Beans: black or pinto
- Fajita veggies: any kind of bell pepper and red onion
- Other ingredients: corn, avocado, cilantro
- Optional toppings: salsa (I used store-bought) and plain dairy free yogurt, which mimics sour cream
First: Cook the rice; heat the beans and corn: Cook the rice over the stovetop as you normally would. At the same time, heat the corn and the beans over the stove for a few minutes until they're warmed to your liking.
Second: Sauté the pepper and onion: In a large skillet, add a little bit of oil, along with the sliced peppers and chipotle seasoning. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add the onions and sauté for 2-3 more minutes until the peppers are soft.
Add the toppings: Toppings include but are not limited to avocado, salsa, cilantro, plain vegan yogurt, guacamole, guacamole salsa
FAQ and Tips
Can I make any substitutions?
Rice: I used brown rice in this recipe, but cilantro lime brown rice would be AMAZING if you want to take it up a notch
Beans/Corn: If you don't have beans and/or corn, you can use rinsed chickpeas instead. They'll add a punch of protein and they pair well with the other ingredients.
Toppings: The recipe calls for both salsa and dairy free yogurt, but you could also drizzle the bowl with guacamole salsa.
Can I make this bowl ahead of time?
Absolutely! Simply prep all the ingredients and place them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Then, before you're ready to eat, add the avocado, salsa and yogurt!
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below!
Vegan Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup brown rice cooked*
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup black beans rinsed
- 1 bell pepper sliced with seeds removed
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle seasoning
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- salsa and/or dairy free yogurt for topping
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions. In a separate saucepan, cook the corn and then the beans.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet, then add the bell pepper. Sprinkle with chipotle seasoning, then sauté for 2 minutes before adding in the onion and cooking for 2 more minutes until the pepper is soft.
- To assemble: place rice in a large bowl, then top with peppers/onion mixture, corn and beans. Top the bowl with avocado, cilantro and your favorite salsa.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in August 2019. It was updated with new text and photos in May 2020.