Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
These Plantain Sweet Potato Tacos are stuffed with plantains, sweet potatoes and black beans and topped with a simple guacamole. They're vegan, gluten free and a great lunch or dinner option!
I know you know this, but tacos are hands down my favorite food. Why? Because there are SO many different kinds and a variety of toppings, that you really can't get sick of them.
These sweet potato tacos are vegan-friendly AND gluten free but have plenty of protein thanks to the beans! Beans are the best, right? They also feature a somewhat unusual ingredient: plantains. Plantains are not something I eat all the time, but they're so easy to prepare, I'm thinking I need to start buying them more often.
WHY THESE TACOS ARE SO GOOD
- They're filled with good-for-you foods like beans, sweet potatoes and avocado
- They're vegan AND gluten free
- These tacos are the perfect Meatless Monday and/or Taco Tuesday meal!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO TACOS
There are multiple steps when making this recipe, but they're all very easy, I promise.
Cook the sweet potatoes: Peel the sweet potatoes then dice them and place then directly into a large skillet. I like to dice them fairly small so they cook more quickly.
Cook the beans: While the sweet potatoes are cooking, cook the beans. Make sure to drain and rinse them first, then pour them into a saucepan and cook for a few minutes until they're warm.
Make the guacamole: Mash one ripe avocado into the bottom of a bowl with a fork or potato masher, then add the remaining ingredients and continue mashing. The guacamole should only take two or three minutes to prepare.
Heat the tortillas: In a small skillet, heat the tortilla for a couple minutes on each side. For this recipe, you can use either flour or corn tortillas!
THINGS TO PAIR WITH THESE TACOS
Plantain Sweet Potato Tacos with Guacamole
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- 2 plantains
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
for the guacamole:
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp red onion diced
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- Juice from 1 lime
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes, then cook them in a large skillet with the olive oil.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the beans, then heat them in a saucepan over the stove.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, push them to the side of the skillet, then add the plantains and cook for 2 minutes, then flip them over and cook for 2 minutes on the other side.
- Heat taco shells as you normally would (I heat mine in a skillet over the stove); then set aside.
- For guacamole: mash avocado into the bottom of a bowl, then add the onion, cilantro, and lime juice together and stir to combine. Place a spoonful of guacamole on the bottom of each taco shell, then top the tacos with the beans, sweet potatoes and plantains.