These Plantain Sweet Potato Tacos with Guacamole are exactly as they sound—stuffed with plantains, sweet potatoes and black beans and topped with a simple guacamole. They’re vegan, gluten free and an excellent lunch or dinner option!
Another week—here we go! These tacos, though absolutely delicious, were a “clean out the cupboard” kind of creation. I had beans, sweet potatoes, taco shells, and avocados already on hand, so they were kinda sorta a no-brainer.
Before we get into today’s recipe, I want to make sure you checked out the Walnut Pancakes with Caramelized Figs from yesterday. They’re Paleo and the caramelized figs are kind of amazing. Ok, really amazing. I was going to make them again yesterday morning until I realized I was out of maple syrup and coconut sugar. Oh, the horror! Jk, I just made a smoothie and life went on.
But back to these tacos..
First you warm up the tortilla shells on a skillet then you cook the sweet potatoes and black beans (separately of course) and put them in the taco shells. Then you cook the plantains THEN you top ‘em with a bit of guacamole because guacamole=perfection.
No, but seriously.
There are certain foods I crave on a regular basis. Chocolate, ice cream, salt and pepper potato chips, acai bowls as of late, and….guacamole. Typically just Chipotle. OH! Add Chipotle to the ‘cravings’ list while you’re at it.
BUT here’s the thing: guacamole LITERALLY could not be easier to make. The fact that I crave it so often probably means I need to start making it approximately ever 3 days.
These tacos are vegan and when all is said and done can be made in under 30 minutes. Not too shabby if you ask me.
Oh another note (like, a really different note), my plans for the day include (because you’re dying to know): subbing an early morning barre class, home to test out a recipe, going to the dog park with Lay (because it’s around this time that she’ll start whining if I don’t play with her) and then back home to test out a second recipe I have in mind. Since I technically have Monday’s off, they tend to be my recipe testing days aka possibly my favorite day of the week. Yes, I like Mondays. There, I said it. Please don’t hate me.
Since it is Monday though, you should definitely give these tacos a try for Meatless Monday because really, Monday’s aren’t so bad after all.Print
Plantain Sweet Potato Tacos with Guacamole
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 12 tacos 1x
- 12 soft taco shells
- 2 plantains
- 2–4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp onion, chopped (preferably red, but yellow works too)
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- Chop sweet potatoes into bite-size pieces and cook in boiling water over stovetop; cook black beans over stovetop in a separate pot.
- Chop plantains vertically and then horizontally into bite-size pieces and cook in a skillet with coconut oil, starting with 2 tbsp and adding more as needed; set plantains, beans and potatoes aside.
- Heat tortilla shells up in a skillet and cook on either side for approximately 1 minute or until slightly browned.
- Add potatoes, beans and plantains to taco shells.
- For guacamole: combine avocado, chopped onion, cilantro, and lime juice together in a bowl. Place a spoonful of guacamole atop each taco. Add extra lime juice as needed.
Q: What foods do you find yourself craving most frequently?
If you like these, you’ll love…