The only thing better than regular sun-dried tomato pesto is homemade sun-dried tomato pesto! It’s made with 6 ingredients and is ready in 5 minutes, and the only dish you’ll need is a food processor.
Let’s all agree from here on out that pesto makes everything better. As much as I love traditional or even kale pesto, sun-dried tomato pesto is my true love language. If I have to choose between basil or sun-dried tomatoes, the tomatoes will always win.
I wish I could remember the first time I tried sun-dried tomatoes, but alas, I cannot. What I do know is that I was immediately hooked because I have plenty of tomato-based recipes on this site. The best part about pesto is that it makes a lot of servings and can be used in a variety of ways (see the end of this post!).
WHY THIS SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO RECIPE IS SO GOOD
- It uses the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes, aka sun-dried tomato oil, instead of olive oil for extra flavor
- Cashews are used as a base to help thicken it up
- It uses canned diced tomatoes to create a sun-dried tomato pesto sauce with actual tomatoes
HOW TO MAKE PESTO
Place all ingredients EXCEPT the oil into your food processor, then pulse for 20 seconds.
With the processor still running, pour the oil through the top and keep pulsing until the pesto is smooth. Note: You may have to turn the processor off and scrape down the sides 1-2 times.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO
- Use raw cashews: For most recipes, you’re going to want to opt for raw cashews instead of salted to eliminate unnecessary salt. Plus, raw cashews have a more neutral taste.
- Use fresh basil: Fresh basil is a must for pesto!
- Regular diced tomatoes are best: This is one of the only times I’ll recommend using regular canned diced tomatoes over fire roasted ones. Normally, I’m all about the fire roasted, but they’re not necessary for this pesto and may make the pesto spicy, which isn’t what we’re going for
- Cheese is optional: Honestly, the pesto tastes better with cheese, but it’s not absolutely necessary. If you want to keep this dairy free, simply omit the cheese.
WHAT CAN I USE SUN-DRIED TOMATO PESTO FOR?
Honestly? Anything and everything, including but not limited to: pasta, pizza, toast, in a salad in place of or in addition to salad dressing, in a grain bowl, as a sandwich spread, with roasted veggies, etc. Seriously, the possibilities are endless!
OTHER SUN-DRIED TOMATO RECIPESPrint
Homemade Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Delicious homemade sun-dried tomato pesto that’s made with 6 ingredients and ready in 5 minutes. All you need is a food processor and you’ll have yourself the BEST gluten free pesto.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 4-8 1x
- Category: condiment
- Method: food processor
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 jar ( 7-8 oz.) sun-dried tomatoes, tomatoes ONLY
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 12 basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato oil, from jar**
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- Optional: 1-2 tbsp water, if mixture isn’t mixing
- Place ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Add additional parmesan cheese if you wish.
*Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks
**If you buy sun-dried tomatoes that do not come in oil, simply use olive oil instead
Keywords: pesto, sun-dried tomato pesto