This Coconut Bread is made with coconut milk AND shredded coconut; it's a coconut lover's dream! It's also dairy free and topped with a tasty powdered sugar glaze for added sweetness.
This coconut bread is a recipe that I was planning on sharing much later in the month, but I just couldn't wait any longer. If you're a fan of coconut, you're going to want to listen up because we devoured this bread in approximately 24 hours. Yes, it's that good.
- It's made with both coconut milk and shredded coconut, so it's loaded with coconut flavor
- It uses oat flour, so it can easily be made gluten free
- The glaze on top adds a nice hint of sweetness to this bread recipe
Oat flour - Can sub all purpose. To make homemade oat flour, simply add rolled oats to you blender and blend until they've turned into flour -- it's that simple!
Shredded coconut - I like using sweetened shredded coconut, but unsweetened works too!
Flax eggs - To make a flax egg, combine 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 2.5 tablespoon of water, stir, then let it sit for about 5 minutes until the flaxseed has absorbed the water. Alternatively, you can use regular eggs in this if you prefer.
This bread recipe is pretty straight forward, but let's walk through it.
Step 1: Combine dry ingredients: Mix the whole wheat flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, and baking powder together in a large bowl. I recommend using unsweetened shredded coconut, but sweetened works too.
Step 2: Combine wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, coconut milk and vanilla together. Then, stir in the room temperature melted coconut oil.
Step 3: Pour batter into bread pan. Grease a 9x4 (or 8x4) bread pan with coconut oil (or line with parchment), then pour batter into pan and bake the bread for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Wait until the bread cools before adding the glaze and slicing.
How long will this last?
This bread will stay fresh for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Do I have to add the glaze?
Nope! The glaze makes this bread a little bit sweeter, so if you don't want it super sweet, simply omit the powdered sugar glaze.
More delicious bread recipes
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoon flaxseed meal + 5 tablespoon water)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond milk*
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flax eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until everything is combined.
- Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with coconut oil before pouring batter into pan, pounding pan on countertop so the batter evens out.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for approximately 55 minutes, placing a toothpick in the center to assure doneness.
- For the icing: combine sugar and milk together in a small both and mix with an electric mixer. Add more milk or sugar as needed. Place bowl in refrigerator and store until bread is ready to be iced.
- Wait until bread has cooled before icing and slicing.