Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Soft and chewy Chai Spice Protein Bars that are sure to keep you full! They're an easy grab-and-go breakfast or post-workout option, and they're ready in under 30 minutes.
I don't know about you, but I'm always searching for tasty and filling things to eat after a cardio-heavy workout.
The best part is that they're easy to make ahead of time, so you can store them in the refrigerator and have them ready to go when you need a quick snack!
Oat flour - I've tested these with whole wheat flour and with gluten free 1:1 baking flour too, so you can use those if you don't have or don't want to make your own oat flour.
Coconut sugar - Can sub cane sugar or even monk fruit
Protein powder - Any kind! I'd opt for something plain or vanilla-flavored rather than chocolate though, since they are chai spice bars.
Flax eggs - Can use 2 regular eggs if you prefer.
First: Stir dry ingredients. First, whisk the flour, sugar, protein powder, baking soda, and spices together in a large bowl.
Second: Whisk wet ingredients. Next, whisk the flax eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla together in a separate bowl.
Third: Combine and bake. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then use a rubber spatula to fold everything together. Scoop the mixture into a lined or greased 8x8 baking dish, using the spatula to smooth it out.
Bake the bars for approximately 15 minutes, or until the edges have set. Wait for the bars to cool before cutting them.
Tips and tricks
- Prepare the flax eggs first, then wait 5 minutes before adding them in with the other ingredients.
- Make sure the coconut oil is at room temperature before adding it in with the other wet ingredients.
- Feel free to use your favorite brand of protein powder, preferably plain or vanilla flavored (if you want to keep these vegan, use a vegan-friendly powder)
- Adding the glaze on top, along with a sprinkle of cinnamon, makes these bars even more delicious.
How should these be stored?
Store bars in a sealed container for up to 5 days. They can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
More protein-heavy recipes
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Chai Spice Protein Bars
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed meal+5 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
for the glaze (optional):
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp almond milk or milk of choice
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Combine flour, protein powder, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, all spice, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together flax eggs, syrup, oil, and vanilla together.
- Fold wet and dry ingredients together with a spatula, then transfer them to a parchment-lined 8x8 baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until edges are set. Remove from the oven, then wait until the bars cool before cutting them.
- Optional: drizzle glaze overtop.
UPDATE NOTE: This post was originally published in January 2016. It was updated with new text and photos in February 2021.