Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
Four ingredient hot chocolate topped with vanilla-flavored whipped cream. You’re going to want to sip on this Boozy Hot Chocolate with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream all winter long!
…..uh, longest title ever. But I couldn’t leave out the whipped cream part. I just couldn’t.
I think you know by now that warm drinks aren’t really my thing—I much prefer iced coffee/any kind of cold drink. However, as the weather gets colder, it can be nice to sip on something warm every once in awhile. Especially if that warm drink has alcohol in it.
HOLD THE PHONE. No actually don’t because I’m being serious. I can’t say ALL chocolate beverages are good with alcohol in them, but this one certainly is.
The tried an alcoholic milkshake for the first time two years ago. It was something like a salted caramel pretzel milkshake with some sort of alcohol in it. I remember being SO stoked to try it. I took my first sip and actually spit it out. It was terrible. It was so long ago that I don’t recall what exactly was so bad about it—I’m guessing too much alcohol and not enough chocolate—but I remember feeling bad for making Miguel spend $10 on it. Pshhhhh, gross overpriced cocktails. I’m not about it.
I AMMMMMM about homemade drinks though, always and forever. Homemade hot chocolate takes approximately three minutes to make and homemade VANILLA BEAN whipped cream takes maybe seven. And I’m not saying you NEED the whipped cream but…. you need the whipped cream. It completes the drink. It’s the caramel to the apple, the cream cheese to the bagel, the almond milk to the coffee. You get the point.
I used the same hot chocolate recipe from a hot chocolate recipe I created last year and then added 2 tbsp of bourbon. I wasn’t totally sure how I’d feel about it but uh….. let’s just say I made it a second time and may or may not be drinking it as I’m typing. Maybe. Ok I am.
For the whipped cream, I simply mixed coconut cream (make sure to drain all the liquid from it first), powdered sugar, vanilla bean, and vanilla extract. SO GOOD. I know you might want to omit the vanilla beans because who keeps vanilla beans in their pantry? But don’t. They’re not expensive and it truly adds to the flavor.
Other than that, I hope you love this drink! Oh, and TGIF!!
- Hot chocolate:
- 2 cups almond milk or coconut milk
- 2 tbsp cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp bourbon more or less depending on preference
- Whipped cream:
- 1 can 14 oz. coconut cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 vanilla beans
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- For the hot chocolate: heat milk over stovetop and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in cacao, vanilla and bourbon; pour into mug.
- For the whipped cream: open the can of coconut cream and drain all of the liquid from it; pour cream into a bowl.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla bean and extract and mix together, preferably with an electric mixer.
- Pour whipped cream into a bowl and place in the freezer. The longer it freezes the more like "cool whip" it'll become, but it should be ok to use after 20 minutes or so.
- Top hot chocolate with whipped cream and enjoy!