Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cake is not only vegan, but it’s filled with zucchini and topped with a light and fluffy dairy free buttercream icing that’s to die for!
Every time I make a cake, I declare it as my new favorite cake, and this vegan chocolate zucchini cake is no exception. It’s three layers of perfectly moist cake filled with smooth dairy free chocolate buttercream. I mean, what more can you ask for?!
When I originally set out to make this cake, I wanted it to be a one layer cake, plain and simple. Well, the cake didn’t rise as much as I’d hoped, so I opted for a three layer cake instead. But, the layers are thin, and I didn’t cover the whole cake in icing which, as it turns out, is WAY easier and less time consuming, so it’s still fairly “light” cake if you will. I have to say “light” because there’s a good amount of buttercream, so I’m not sure how light it can truly be.
WHY THIS VEGAN CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE IS SO GOOD
- There’s zucchini in it, so it’s basically a vegetable (kidding! kind of)
- It’s a three layer cake that’s perfectly moist
- The chocolate buttercream is INSANE–you need to try it for yourself
The cake itself is similar to my favorite (and most popular) vegan chocolate cake recipe, and the buttercream is similar to what I used in this gluten free chocolate cake. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! The zucchini in this cake helps to make this cake really moist, similarly to how it does in zucchini bread or how carrot does in carrot cake.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
Use one bowl: Yes really! Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl, then add the wet ingredients and stir everything together. This makes for easy clean up, and it’s not necessary to mix them separately.
The recipe calls for almond milk, but you can use any kind of dairy free milk. Besides almond, but other favorite milk is oat milk.
This cake uses applesauce instead of oil. The applesauce adds to the moisture and overall texture of the cake.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER VEGAN CAKE RECIPES
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Buttercream Icing
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups zucchini shredded
For the buttercream:
- 1 cup dairy free butter
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; then, add milk, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla to that same bowl and stir with an electric mixer until combined.
- Last, stir in the zucchini by hand.
- Grease three 8" cake pans with coconut oil and divide the batter evenly amongst the pans. Bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cakes to sit in the pans for 10 minutes, and then run a knife along the edges of the cake and carefully invert them onto a cooling rack. Wait until cakes have completely cooled before icing them.
- For the buttercream: cream butter and milk together, then add cocoa and powdered sugar. You want the icing to be thick but still spreadable. If it seems too thick, add 1 tbsp milk. If it seems too thin, add 1/4 cup powdered sugar.
- To assemble: use a serrated knife to remove domes off of the cakes, then scoop a large dollop of icing onto the first cake and spread it; then place the second cake on top of that cake and repeat that same step. Top the final layer with chocolate chips or chopped chocolate, if you want.