Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
This Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie is filled with plenty of pecans and chocolate chips and made with honey instead of corn syrup for a slightly healthier recipe.
OKAY it’s here!! You voted via Instagram and said that you wanted me to make a chocolate chip pecan pie, so here it is in all its glory. Besides the chocolate chips, the best part about this pecan pie is that it’s made with honey instead of corn syrup like many pecan pie recipes. Woohoo!
I ended up making this recipe twice because the first time I A) used too much honey so the pie tasted too…. honey-y… and B) didn’t use enough chocolate chips so you couldn’t really taste them. The second time around though I got it right and oh my gosh you’re going to love it.
Growing up, we never really ate pecan pie, not even on Thanksgiving. Pumpkin? Yes. Apple? Absolutely. Pecan? Not really, but I’m thinking it needs to be a new tradition. If you’re new to pecan pie, follow along because it’s pretty easy to make as far as pies go.
WHY CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN PIE IS SO GOOD
- It combines the sticky pecan flavor and texture with chocolate, aka the BEST of both worlds
- The filling is made with honey instead of corn syrup, so it’s better for you and arguably better tasting, too
- It’s even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top
CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN PIE INGREDIENTS
- all purpose flour
- chocolate chips
Admittedly, this isn’t one of my healthier recipes, but I think we all get a pass when it comes to pie. Who really wants healthy pie? Now let’s chat about how to actually make this pie!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHIP PECAN PIE
Step 1: Every pie starts with the crust, and this one is no different. I recommend making your pie crust in a food processor if you have one. If you don’t have one, making it by hand will work too, but I think the food processor helps to break down the butter really well, which results in a smooth crust. So, you’ll start by adding the flour and sugar to your food processor, and then while it’s running, you’ll add the butter and water through the top, though you want to add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.
Step 2: Once the dough is one giant ball in your food processor, you can remove it, roll it out and then carefully place it in your pie pan. You can form the edges of your crust however you want; I opted to trim the edges with kitchen shears and then use my fork to crimp them. At this point, you can set the crust aside and start making the filling.
Step 3: Luckily, the filling is just as easy as the crust. First you’ll combine the wet ingredients in a bowl—the honey, eggs, butter, vanilla—then you’ll stir in the sugar and flour before adding in the pecans and chocolate chips last. Many pecan pie recipes recommend chopping the pecans, but I like some of them to be whole, so I suggest chopping half of them and leaving the rest whole.
Step 4: Pour the filling into the crust and then bake the pie for anywhere between 35-55 mins. I know that’s a huge difference, but I think every oven is different. The good news is that your pie crust shouldn’t burn or hardly even brown; if it does, simply place a piece of foil over top. The pie I made baked in about 40 minutes.
Step 5: Remove the pie from the oven, then place it into the refrigerator for at least an hour, which helps the pie to fully set.
TIPS FOR MAKING PECAN PIE
- Sprinkle the pie with flakey sea salt before serving so that it really has that salty sweet taste to it.
- Serve the pie with ice cream. I mean, you don’t have to, but ice cream really does pair perfectly with chocolate chip pecan pie.
MORE PIE RECIPES:
Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie
for the crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 8-10 tbsp ice water
for the pie:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup pecans chopped and whole*
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips**
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Add flour and sugar to your food processor and pulse for a few seconds. Then, place food processor on high and add the butter in through the top while the processor is running. Wait a minute or so, then add the water in 1 tbsp at a time until the mixture forms into a ball.
- Remove the dough, roll it out into a circle on a floured surface then place it in your pie pan. Trim the edges and set aside.
- For the filling: whisk honey, eggs, butter, and vanilla together; then, add the brown sugar and flour and stir to combine. Last, stir in the pecans and chocolate chips.
- Pour filling into the pie pan, then bake the pie at 400° for 10 minutes; then, reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 25-40 minutes. The crust shouldn't burn, but if you notice it getting too dark, place foil over top of the pie and continue baking. You'll know the pie is done when most if it is set but it's still a little jiggly in the middle--you just don't want it to be sloshing around.
- Remove pie from the oven and wait a few minutes before placing it in the refrigerator, which will help the pie to fully set.
- Before serving, sprinkle pie with some flakey sea salt, then cut and serve with ice cream!