Fudgy Black Bean Brownies that use beans in place of flour, making them gluten free. They're not only made with beans, but with coconut oil and maple syrup, making them a truly delicious and guilt-free dessert!
Black bean brownies may just be the sneakiest brownies yet! I have my sweet potato brownies (link), but these black bean brownies are another flourless and gluten free brownie option that you're going to want to try.
Before creating this recipe--years ago--I'd seen black bean brownie recipes and wondered to myself, "but can you taste the beans??" Well friends, the answer is NOPE, you most certainly cannot.
WHY THESE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES ARE SO GOOD
- They use black beans instead of flour, making them flourless and gluten free
- The black beans add protein to this recipe, which basically means they're a health food (kidding! sort of)
- The brownie batter is made in your food processor, so clean up is a breeze
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE BLACK BEAN BROWNIES
Rinse the beans: Don't skip this step! The first step is to pour the black beans into a strainer and rinse them, removing any liquid that was inside the can.
Use your food processor: Start by adding the beans and all of the wet ingredients--coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup--to your food processor. Pulse for 20-30 seconds until the mixture is nice and smooth, then add the dry ingredients and pulse until the beans are completely blended and you have a smooth batter.
Stir in the chocolate chips: Since this recipe is on the healthier side, you're going to want to add chocolate chips, which really elevate this recipe and make it taste like a true dessert. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand before pouring the batter into your baking dish!
DO I HAVE TO INCLUDE CHOCOLATE CHIPS?
Technically, no you do not. If you want to make these even healthier, then you can omit the chips. HOWEVER, I highly recommend adding them because they add a little extra flavor and sweetness to the recipe.
MORE HEALTHY DESSERT RECIPES
OTHER RECIPES TO CHECK OUT
Neapolitan Coconut Butter Cups by Fit Mitten Kitchen
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by The Balanced Berry
Vegan Chocolate Truffles by In It 4 the Long Run
Mini Guava Cheesecake Cups by The Blissful Balance
Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place beans in food processor and pulse; add coconut oil, eggs, syrup, and vanilla and pulse to mix together.
- Add in sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt and pulse to combine. Remove blade from food processor and stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Coat a 8x8 baking pan with coconut oil and then pour batter into pan, using a spatula to smooth and even it out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges have hardened. Allow AT LEAST 20 minutes for brownies to cool before cutting and removing from pan.