These are the BEST Paleo Brownies you’ll ever try (I promise!). They’re just 6 ingredients, gluten free, dairy free, and the texture is just what you expect from a brownie recipe: crackly on top and fudgy in the middle.
Today is all about the BEST Paleo brownies, and friends, these are it! I tested this recipe three times to make sure it’s perfect. As much as I love healthy brownies, sometimes you need the real deal. Don’t be turned off by the word “paleo” if you aren’t strictly paleo because these brownies taste just like your favorite childhood brownie recipe.
See, sometimes I like to sneak black beans into brownies, but not this time! For this recipe, I wanted something without gluten or dairy but that tasted out-of-this-world-good, and these are it.
WHY THESE PALEO BROWNIES ARE THE BEST
- They’re the perfect brownie texture with ZERO gluten or dairy!
- You only need 6 ingredients, which is kind of unheard of for a brownie recipe
- The prep time is just 10 minutes, so you really have no excuse NOT to make these
- They’re super fudgy with a crackly top and soft center
HOW TO MAKE PALEO BROWNIES
Start by melting the coconut oil and chocolate chips together until you have smooth, melted chocolate. Generally, you can do this one of two ways: either over the stove or in the microwave. If you melt the chocolate chips over the stove, make sure the heat is on low and that you stir them frequently so they don’t burn. If you melt them in the microwave, microwave them in 30 second intervals, stirring in between each one until they’re smooth.
Next, whisk the eggs and coconut sugar together in a large bowl for AT LEAST 45 seconds. This is a crucial step if you want the crackly tops on your brownies, which you most definitely do! The end result should look something like this:
To that same bowl, fold in the almond flour and salt until everything is mixed together well. Normally for dessert recipes, I like using my electric hand mixer, but when you’re making something that’s gluten free you have to be extra careful not to over mix the batter, so stirring the flour in by hand is a must.
The final step is to add in the melted chocolate and stir until the batter is smooth and chocolatey.
WHAT KIND OF CHOCOLATE SHOULD I USE?
If you want to keep these brownies 100% Paleo, opt for chocolate chips WITHOUT soy lecithin. This can be a little tricky to find, but I know that ‘Enjoy Life’ chocolate chips are Paleo-friendly! If you aren’t following strict Paleo, you can use ANY kind of chocolate chips, though I generally recommend semi-sweet.
Make sure you whip the eggs and sugar together really well. I know I already said this, but it’s important! It’s going to make a huge difference in the texture, and we all know brownie texture is very important (seriously!).
To check for doneness, insert a toothpick. The batter should be mostly dry with a little crumb. It should NOT be wet! If it’s still wet, put the brownies back into the oven and bake for 5 more minutes or so.
HOW SHOULD I STORE THESE BROWNIES?
Store these brownies in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days. With that said, these will taste better (think: fresher) the sooner you eat them, which really shouldn’t be a problem… 🙂
OTHER TASTY PALEO DESSERT RECIPES
- Healthier Salted Caramel Sauce
- Flourless Sweet Potato Brownies
- Flourless Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
The BEST Paleo Brownies
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips*
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt coconut oil and chocolate chips together over the stove, stirring frequently until the chocolate is smooth; set aside.
- Add eggs and sugar to a large bowl then whisk continuously for at least 45 seconds. This is *key* to creating the crackly top.
- Next, fold in the almond flour and salt. Since these are gluten free, I recommend doing this by hand vs. with an electric mixer because you don't want to over-mix the batter. Once they're combined, pour in the melted chocolate and again, stir by hand to combine.
- Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick spray, then pour the batter into the pan. Bake the brownies for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove them from the oven and wait for them to cool before cutting and serving. Enjoy!