My favorite Shakshuka is made with fire roasted diced tomatoes, harissa, eggs, and feta cheese and is a delicious (and healthy) make ahead breakfast. Gluten free, vegetarian and so tasty!
Shakshuka shakshuka, oh how I love ya. ...but seriously, I do. You know I love eggs and breakfasts and eggs for breakfast, and sometimes you just need a little something fancy. Enter: my favorite shakshuka. Truthfully, this recipe is really easy, so calling it fancy is a bit of a stretch, but it sounds fancy, doesn't it?
Shakshuka is essentially eggs poached in tomato sauce, and it's just as good as it sounds. Give it a try and let me know what you think!
WHY THIS SHAKSHUKA IS MY FAVORITE
- It's a little spicy, which gives it a kick
- The feta cheese is a MUST
- The runny egg yolks pair perfectly with the fire roasted tomatoes It's an easy make-ahead breakfast and/or something to "wow" out of town guests
HOW TO MAKE SHAKSHUKA
Sauté the veggies: The first step is to soften the veggies by sautéing the onion, pepper and garlic for a few minutes until the onion is soft. I recommend using a large, oven-safe skillet for this.
Add the tomatoes and eggs: Once the veggies are soft, add the canned diced tomatoes, tomato paste, harrisa, smoked paprika, salt, and HALF of the cilantro. Stir so that everything is combined, then simmer for 2-3 minutes. Use a spatula to create holes in the dish, and then crack the eggs into the holes.
Bake: The last step is to bake it! Place the whole skillet into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. The eggs should be set on the edges but you want the middle to be runny. Once it's done, top it with the remaining cilantro and the feta cheese.
Cheese: Besides feta cheese, goat cheese or parmesan would work well in this recipe. You could also omit the cheese altogether to keep it dairy free.
Greens: Traditional shakshuka doesn't have greens, but you could always add spinach or kale to this dish.
OTHER HEALTHY BREAKFAST RECIPES
My Favorite Shakshuka
- 1 green pepper seeds removed, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon harissa
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro divided
- 3-5 eggs
- 1/4 cup feta cheese or more
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large, oven-safe skillet, sauté pepper, onion and garlic with a bit of olive oil for 3-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Next, add the tomatoes, tomato paste, harissa, paprika, salt, and HALF of the cilantro. Stir to combine, then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Use a spatula or spoon to create holes in the mixture, then crack the eggs into the holes. Place the entire skillet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. You want the eggs to be set on the edges but runny egg yolks.
- Remove skillet from the oven and top with the rest of the cilantro and the feta cheese. Enjoy!