This is the best Vegan Garlic Bread! An irresistible and savory garlic butter is spread onto sliced bread, then baked in the oven until golden brown. It’s the perfect side to any meal, especially vegan pasta.
If you’re tired of searching high and low for vegan-friendly store-bought or restaurant garlic bread, I have good news for you: learning how to make Vegan Garlic Bread at home is easy AND budget-friendly!
This recipe is proof. A mix of fresh garlic, vegan butter, cheese, and simple seasonings is spread over a sliced baguette and baked in the oven. And that’s it! In no time, you’ve made a vegan garlic bread recipe from scratch that everyone will want a piece of.
- No longer do you need to worry about garlic bread packed with dairy. Vegan garlic bread is easy to make with simple ingredients!
- It’s a really flexible side dish. Add more herbs to the garlic butter, add vegan cheese on top, or switch the bread to make this recipe your own.
- The best savory side dish that’s ready in 20 minutes! It pairs perfectly with vegan mushroom pasta, roasted red pepper pasta, and even more vegan pasta recipes.
For the full ingredients list, scroll down to the recipe card below.
Baguette - If you don’t want to use a baguette, substitute it with a French loaf or ciabatta instead.
Vegan butter - Butter is a necessary part of any easy garlic bread recipe. The flavor boosters are stirred in with the softened butter, then spread onto the sliced bread. Any brand of store-bought vegan butter will work well, but a high quality brand will always give you the best flavor.
Garlic - Mince or grate the cloves into the vegan butter to get savory garlicky bites throughout.
Vegan parmesan cheese - I used Violife vegan parmesan but you can use any brand that’s available to you. Homemade vegan parmesan is also a great choice!
Olive oil - A small drizzle of olive oil is poured onto each piece of garlic bread before it goes into the oven. Not only does this add another layer of flavor, but it helps crisp the bread and gives it a lovely golden brown hue.
Step 1: Slice the bread. Slice the baguette into small 1-inch rounds and place them on a large baking sheet.
Step 2: Make the garlic butter. Mix the vegan butter, garlic, parsley, parmesan, and salt together in a small bowl.
Step 3: Brush it onto the spread. Use a spoon or knife to spread a dollop of the vegan garlic butter onto each slice of bread. Add a drizzle of olive oil on top.
Step 4: Bake and broil. Bake the garlic bread in the oven, then finish it under the broiler until each piece is golden brown and crisp. Enjoy!
Tips and FAQs
- Make sure the vegan butter is softened, but not melted before mixing the garlic butter. If the butter is too cold, let it sit on the kitchen counter until it warms up (about 30 minutes). Or, you can microwave it for 10-15 seconds.
- Stir even more herbs into the garlic butter mixture to enhance the savory flavors. Green onions, oregano, chives, and basil are all tasty options.
- Add a dollop of homemade vegan mozzarella on top of each piece to make cheesy vegan garlic bread.
- The broil time will vary depending on the kind of bread you’re using. Keep a close eye on the bread as it broils to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Use the vegan garlic butter to season even more dishes, like roasted fingerling potatoes, pasta, or cauliflower steaks!
Can vegans eat garlic bread?
Usually, no. Most garlic bread recipes contain real butter and dairy, which means they aren’t vegan-friendly. However, by substituting plant-based alternatives for the real dairy, vegans can easily enjoy dairy free garlic bread at home!
What kind of bread is best for garlic bread?
Any type of bread can be used to make garlic bread, but the best kind is a baguette. It's soft on the inside and crusty on the outside, making for slightly crisp and fluffy garlic bread.
For softer pieces of garlic bread, you can use a fluffier loaf of bread, like ciabatta or a French loaf.
How do you soften garlic bread?
This is a crispy garlic bread recipe but it can easily be softened if that’s the texture you prefer. Instead of slicing the bread into rounds, use a serrated knife to slice 1-inch intervals all the way down the loaf (being careful not to slice all the way through).
Use a spoon to spread the garlic butter in between each of the slices. If you end up with extra, brush the butter on the outside of the loaf. Wrap the loaf in aluminum foil and bake as normal.
Can you freeze vegan garlic bread?
Yes! Assemble the garlic bread slices as normal, then wrap them all together in foil and freeze for up to 3 months. When it’s time to serve, transfer the frozen vegan garlic bread to a baking sheet and bake as normal.
More vegan comfort food
If you made this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. Thanks!
Vegan Garlic Bread
- 1 baguette french baguette or ciabatta loaf; sliced into 1" slices
- ½ cup vegan butter softened
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese (I used Violife); or sub shredded parmesan
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place the baguette slices on a large baking sheet.
- Next, stir the butter, garlic, parsley, and parmesan together in a bowl. Dollop a bit of the garlic herb butter on each piece of bread, then drizzle a bit of olive oil overtop of all of the bread (1-2 tablespoons total).
- Bake the garlic bread for 14 minutes, then switch to broil and broil for 1-3 minutes. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply